things I meant to write about

Trigger warning: a mention of suicidal thoughts

Snow. We went to the the snow at Lake Mountain with two other families. It was really, like really cold and kind of blizzarding. I surprised myself by making a egg and bacon pie like Mum would have made and a cake the night before. Another surprise was that I was able to hire warm but bulky snow gear in my size. However I sat in the car watching the snow fall while everyone else went tobogganing. It was six months to the day since Gerard died. Watching snow fall and thinking about how we never went to the snow as a family even though we talked about it a lot seemed an appropriate activity. I also remembered how in my twenties I used to go cross country skiing and how I took that level of fitness for granted.

Freezing.

Craft Camp. As I was packing to go to craft camp I didn't think I would be ready in time or that I would be able to extricate myself from the chaos that is my house. Luckily I had a lift, so I had to be ready. Craft camp was so good, it was nice to see everyone and I was moderately productive and made a doona cover and some pillow cases. I still feel like I am in a hole, behind a wall a bit. But at the end I kind of felt like I was back. It was a good feeling and I was able to hold onto it for a while.

Downer. I went to look at Mum's house which was being prepared for sale with Dad which was good. Then he started talking about my health and his concerns. I've put on weight and my health and fitness is not great at the moment but this talk made me feel worse. Much worse. By the time I got home and to the safety of my room I was a crying mess and my big thought was "why wait? I'll just kill myself now". That thought did pass and I am not troubled by suicidal thoughts in general but it was intense while it was there.

Sun. We went to visit the family in Queensland. It was wonderful. We went to the beach three times and I went swimming in the sea twice. I didn't have to cook or really make decisions and that was really restful. It's a bit intense being around three children all outside their comfort zones but I think the melt downs were fewer in number than before. And it was wonderful to see everyone. If only air travel was a bit cheaper so we could go for weekends as well.

At the doggy beach

Yet another downer. Came home to knee length grass and head high weeds and all the disorder I left behind. (Although coming home to Rupert was so sweet - he was looked after by a friend while we were away and she dropped him home before we arrived so there was a little dog at the window). I know what I need to do but just can't seem to do it. Although I have been moderately successful at walking more. But gees it's hard. And yesterday as hot winds blew around the house, I lost it. Lay on my bed and sobbed. Needing hanky after hanky and many glasses of water. I miss Gerard so much. It's a cliché but it really does feel like a part of me is gone, among other things it feels like the bit that starts things is gone. It's hard to explain the degree of distress I still feel from time to time. It feels like I should be doing better now and sometimes I am, but not all the time. Everything is broken and I don't know which bits to start fixing first. Or I know, but it doesn't happen. Because that starting bit being broken too.

Some hope for the future. I might have some work coming up. That would be good. I'm going to see the doctor about all my niggly health concerns and talk about reviewing my meds. The weather is better. I should be less hard on myself. It is only 8 months since Gerard died and about 11 months since Mum died. Neither of these make any sense to me and I miss them so much. Of course things will be shit, but there are better times to come. I just have to believe that.

7 comments:

  1. It must be so hard for you at the moment and it takes time to adjust to losing close people in your life. You never get over that feeling of them not there but you do learn to live your life without them. It sounds like you need a great big hug and perhaps some people can come around on the weekend and help you with your garden and some other jobs too. Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. sending you an enormous hug xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to you Janet. Just get through the shit year and then you can rebuild. Not saying it won't still be shit when the shit year is up, but maybe it won't be so shit all the time. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to you. That is such a short time for a loss, for people who made up the framework of your life. It's not at all surprising that you are finding it hard, I think. Those two losses on top of each other, and shaking up of so many things. And the constant reminders of the day-to-day things that are gone. It's hard. So so hard. Such a short time ago, in terms of what those losses mean.

    I agree with Sue. You don't get over it but you learn how to live with it better. It comes slowly, though. And then one day you realise it's ok and it's been ok for a while and maybe you have a few more terrible days, and the anniversaries are always hard, but it starts to stay ok more than it isn't. It just takes a heck of a lot longer than it feels like it should. Especially when you still have to get on with life in the meantime.

    Hope the drs appointment went well and things are ok a bit more often than before. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no right way to do all this, lovely Janet. Take care of yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, it took at least 18 months until after Mum and Dad's deaths for me to remember happy times and their lives rather than their deaths. A cliche, but time is a great healer. Be really, really kind to yourself, gentle exercise every day, some time in nature, eating well. Remember every day how much you are loved xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How are you doing? Are things getting better for you? I think about you often the the terrible weight you have on your shoulders. Let us know if we can do any thing for you. I am in Virginia USA. I have enjoyed your blog for many years. Looking forward to the future. Take care. Elaine

    ReplyDelete