running

On the way home. Very cold.

I had the most wonderful dream last night. Perhaps fuelled by the codeine rich cough medicine I am taking, but it was fabulous anyway. My aunt, the one who is a personal trainer and tremendously fit in her seventies and who was once butterfly champion of Victoria came to get me to go for a run. I said I couldn't. She said let's go and see what you can do. We ran along the side of a big Jeffrey Smart freeway and I ran at 100k an hour. It was exhilarating and effortless. Afterwards we stopped for a drink and she said, see, you can run Janet.

Of course in real life, I can't run, well not very far and not very fast. My weight is at a high and fitness is at a low. I feel like I am getting one cold after another. The current one makes me feel very weak and I cough a lot. So much my sides ache and I worry about annoying the neighbours. Also I was unsuccessful in getting an interview for a job I liked the look of. I'm not devastated by that, part of me is not quite ready, but part of me is. I'd like to be good at something in the bigger world again. But dreams are an amazing thing, I think it was a message to myself that things will get better, that I will find that state of flow, of wonderment, of movement again.

5 comments:

  1. First the dog, and now a wonderful dream! This has put a smile on my face as I hope it has done on yours. All best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like dreams like those - they don't happen often, but that sense that it will be okay can stay with me for a long time. Running is a pretty powerful metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know that I used to have a dream last year where I was a wonderful runner. My fitness is very low and my weight very high too and things are stressful around here atm, but I always keep it in the back of my mind that perhaps one day it will happen. I think it is a dream where it allows me to know that good things are coming soon. I hope you have very good things coming soon too.

    ReplyDelete