craft camp debrief

Oh how I was looking forward to this last craft camp just gone. I missed the last one as it came right at the end of the week when mum's small cell lung cancer was diagnosed. She was out of hospital by the Saturday but it was a pretty heavy week and I don't think I would have had it in me to go to craft camp. But I missed it, I missed seeing everyone and I missed the Queen's birthday craft camp being part of the rhythm of my year and I missed the injection of new winter clothes into our wardrobes. And since then things have been a bit tricky here, I miss my old job (in ways), I miss the structure and the money. The new things I am doing remain a great big learning curve. Also we are looking at changing Grace's school and well, mum still has cancer. So when this craft camp rolled around I was pretty damn excited and looking forward to a break and all the good things of craft camp. I voted by post, I cut everything out, I was organised.
-
It was so great to be there. Really it was. To hang with (most of) the lovely women. To hang out in the studio on Friday making mini bears and chatting. To take in the view. To just be there. If I could bottle that Friday night Sewjourn feeling, I would. As it was I stayed up far too late on Friday night, chatting. By the time I went to bed I was spinning and overtired. When will I learn? Saturday was lovely too but come 6.05 pm on Saturday night just five minutes after the polls closed there was talk on social media that the coalition had already won.  I think I suggested after tea that we turn on the telly. Half of us headed to the telly and the other half to the studio. It was quickly apparent that things were not looking good. At one point I cried. Silent, wet tears. Thinking about what it might mean for my little family. Oh well.  And I think to say that the election result was a great big downer, was not at all understating it. It wasn't like it wasn't expected but I did have that tiny wee little bit of hope. Kind of like when your footy team comes back from being 40 points down at three quarter time. Unlikely but while there is hope, there is hope. Except now there isn't. Not for a good few years at least.
- On Sunday, it was also obvious that some of us really weren't well. I had a few sniffles and sneezes but didn't think much of it. It was nice to get home and hug Grace. She immediately loved her two mini bears Adam (after Adam Bandt) and Annie. They are now the children of Grizzle and Bluey. She was less thrilled about the clothes I made but those mini bears are pretty damned cute.I put most of my stuff away and enjoyed being home after the break. The next morning...... lurgy time. Yuck. Sick as a dog. And five days later I'm still hacking up a lung. Grace and G have been sick too, although not as bad. Seriously there were a couple of days that were awful. Including one day where I just couldn't get warm. And a spiral into despair. I'm more or less better now, except for a hacking cough (I get this every time I have a cold or flu - must be from being a smoker back in the day). Grace and G have both recovered quickly. Very sneaky little bug.
- Still, it was good to go to Sewjourn and hang out with the lovely women. I sewed a t shirt for me and one for Grace. A denim pinafore and most of one for Grace. A summer dress, two mini bears and two zippered pouches. And I have a whole heap of things cut out and ready to go. Because, as usual I was a little over ambitious. Oh, and on Sunday morning I got up early and meant to go back to bed but there was fog. I love fog! -

4 comments:

  1. Stoopid election and germs messing with your craft camp. It's not right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh the lichen and fog shots are divine. I still feel sick and weak a week later ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing quite like that Friday night feeling, is there? So much excitement and promise. Better than ten Christmas mornings.

    I am sorry that you got one of the lurgies going around. Still feeling very guilty for being a vector. Oh, well, too late now. And it was so good to see everyone, I can't be too sorry (selfishly).

    Those photos are just perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that last photo Janet .. I love fog too.

    2013 was a tough year I think .. xx

    ReplyDelete