that summer feeling

This evening I picked another punnet's worth of boysenberries - to join those left over from last night in a free form tart. The pastry was the Maggie Beer sour cream pastry but with yoghurt instead of sour cream and half self raising flour because I ran out of plain. I dusted the berries with sugar and flour and watched a few bugs escape from the newly picked berries that I hadn't washed and dried (we had nit comb to do and I figured as we all eat berries from the bush then the odd bug in our pie shouldn't be a problem). Anyway I'm pretty sure they all escaped. And the pie was mighty fine. G and I had two helpings each and there is another piece for Grace in the fridge.
-
When I picked the berries tonight it was cool cardigan type weather but last night it was warm and thundery. Everything is still so green. You can almost hear the garden growing. Another green summer I think. Grace and I went to the pool for a swim yesterday afternoon and it was just warm enough. Today we (sort of) finished off the pre everyone's coming to our place for Christmas cleaning. G cleaned the laundry and I washed windows. There are a few streaks but oh how the light is different with clean windows. And outside looks bright and sharp. We probably should clean out the cupboards but oh well, time to do some baking and crafting and all that sort of thing.
-

I can't believe how prolific our boysenberry is, second year in.  I reckon I've picked 5 or 6 punnets over the last week or two with more to come. I think I shall plant another of these. It would be good to grow so many berries that every one got tired of them and I had to make some into jam or freeze them for winter crumbles. Hard to imagine but possible I suppose.

5 comments:

  1. My thermomix comes on Saturday so I've been sneaking out in the morning to pick and freeze berries to make some jam with. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a joy it must be to eat food you've grown in the backyard
    one day we will get around to that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I need to plant some. have never had much luck with berries though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would love to berries growing, ready for eating! Mum used to be a keen black-berry picker (they used to grow everywhere in Canberra) and although we always grumbled about the chore of picking them in the brambles for ages in teh hot sun, we always loved having the berry produce afterwards, jams, sorbets, pies or just fresh with a dusting of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love your boysenberry plant! We have a loganberry and OMG. So good. It's our first year and I am picking a punnet and more a day. And eating them. I shall turn into a giant loganberry by the end of summer ...

    ReplyDelete