domestic snapshot

I had such a difficult time uploading photos from my camera last weekend. It took all the time I had imagined I might blog in. Everything worked out in the end but who knew that a slightly flat battery could cause such a schermozzle. At least that's what I think it was. And my computer has been playing up again - it has a very delicate graphics card and too much dust or heat or a dodgy planetary alignment and it just turns itself off. But anyway we have defragged, cleaned registries and cleaned the innards of the computer out with the compressor and she seems to be happy again. Fingers crossed this lasts.

I made this cake a couple of weekends ago, it is my usual cake but with coconut in it and this one had rhubarb and strawberries on the bottom. It was utterly delicious and we washed it down with homemade ginger beer. Of course I wouldn't let anyone near the cake until I had photographed it. I think we are due for another cake soon. Maybe involving cherries.
-

We still have lice. Ho hum. I think Grace keeps getting re-infected at school. Am thinking of making her a headscarf to wear but then she'd only need to take it off for a minute touch heads with someone who had the critters and bam we'd be back to step one. Still haven't tried the straightening iron but I suspect management of the critters is the best we can do. How cool is Grace in her black t-shirt? Have to keep reminding myself she is still six.

-

I have been crocheting at night. I have my kids hats knitting project for taking on the tram and for lunch time at work but this rug is my thing at the moment. The one you see there has been unravelled because the edges were hugely wonky and I decided I didn't like the blocks of colours. I've redone it with straight edges, a smaller hook and I swap colours every row. Even if sometimes the colours are very alike. I think it's working out. Maybe I should put it on the bed and see.

-

Today has been good. Went for a creek side walk after drop off and managed not to totally freak out about the possible snakes in the grass. Then a friend came around for coffee and I made another batch of ginger beer and then G and I went to the tip shop for a browse. We came home via my new favourite butcher so Grace and I will be having Italian pork sausages for dinner. Yum.

4 comments:

  1. I am really pleased by the idea of attacking head lice with a straitening iron, how poetic. My two older girls have grown out of catching lice from their friends at school so it does happen eventually, sadly I don't think it happened til they were about 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest (12) still gets lice so we (I) have had over a decade now of 'managing' the little beasts. A weekly comb with conditioner keeps on top of them but it's a constant battle. Thankfully the older two are well and truly out of it these days.

    That blanket is fantastic. I love it, all the subtle muddy colours and then the ping of red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the blanket is wonderful. Such is my lust for one I am thinking of taking up the needles. Maybe.
    And nits...after doing battle with the critters since prep with Clare and Ally (never such a problem with the older kids) at last we've had two terms nit free. I guess the kids are less physical when you get to grade five. Leah is the one who gets nits these days, from her boyfriend's dreadlocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos the simplicity the colour the capturing of the moment .. Sian ps we have had nits here too recently second child round and it doesnt get any less frustrating..

    ReplyDelete