golden memories

Apart from the main aim of spending time with Betty, Cam and the girls, we all had a few things we wanted to do while we were in Queensland. G wanted to visit a friend who lives sort of nearby and I wanted to go to a market with Betty, on my own. Grace wanted to go swimming and to the beach and spend lots of time with her cousins. We bargained back and forth and came up with something that pleased everyone. Grace's trip to the beach ended up being an afternoon by the Noosa river with fish and chips for dinner.
-
-
It possibly wasn't as carefree as it looks. There was child wrangling and I got shat on by a bird. But there was water and sand and sun and that beautiful golden light.There was lots of scootering on the paths because there's no concrete where Ruby-Lee and Maeve live and even though they get to scooter and play with their ride on toys inside on the hardwood floors, it's not the same as a big long path. Something about the dynamic has changed between the children, they're all a little bit older (with exactly two years between each of them). Grace is also a lot more assertive and sure of herself and much more able to tell me what she needs - as in, mum, I just need some time to myself.  When your sociable introvert only child says that, it's good for every one to take note. All in all though, the children played really well together and the grownups were nice to each other and drank beer with their chips. Even me. Just half a stubby, because it tasted so damned good.
-
-
Another thing I just remembered is how I was struck by the cousin's sureness of their relationship with each other and it's importance. I'm not the best at between visit skypes and phone conversations but Grace and Ruby-Lee especially looked forward to the visit and regarded it as pretty important. Once we had been there a little while, Maeve also seemed quite sure that we were family.  Writing these posts just makes me want to go back. To have a barbeque by the river this weekend. To drink beer and catch up on the gossip. It would probably even be warm enough to swim now.

2 comments:

  1. It's very interesting, the cousinly dynamic. You're right, there is a surety to it, even when your cousins are vastly different people to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the pool is up and being used daily and we've done the breakfast at the beach then go for a swim thing twice. I would really like you guys to come up again soon. Really really really. There is nothing the same as hanging out with family (especially when you like them) I'm not crying (loudly).

    ReplyDelete