interlude

So what have I been doing instead of uploading my school holiday photos and wrting about our big trip? Living and parenting and working and playing on facebook and trying to figure out why we still don't have a school library and talking on the phone and answering emails and working out how merge mailchimp with an edublog to deliver a school newsletter in a digital fashion that isn't an emailed pdf because really, that is so last century. Oh yeah, and learning to how make ice cream.
wattle
First I started off with a friends ice cream maker and made a creamy honey orange Philadelphia style ice cream. Grace complained about the fatty mouth feel. Then I made frozen yoghurt and she didn't like the nutmeg bits, can't say I blame her. At that point I rather carelessly allowed the ice cream maker lid to drop on the floor when banging a door shut and it shattered. We gaffer taped it together to make the lemon ice cream which was my first go at a custard base. Grace said it was delicious as a custard but too lemony once frozen. I scoffed the lot over a week or so. Yum. I bought two new ice cream makers over the internet and have since made strawberry ice cream and learnt that it won't freeze properly if the mix has too much sugar. The chocolate was good but had little lumps. The kids loved these flavours and one of the neighbourhood children asked if there was any home made ice cream when they were offered cones this afternoon (that sounds a bit wrong doesn't it?). Anyway, I'm considering doing a ice cream stall at our next fete and given that I can only make a bit over a litre at a time, maybe that's a pretty nutty idea.
wattle
Have been feeling a bit nutty myself. As usual. work has been intense with a few little extra dramas thrown in. Oh, and on top of unmentionable dramas I've just found out they're going to introduce a uniform. Not compulsory until 2014 but joy oh joy not only do I get to deliver government policy, witness a fair bit of aggression and explain complex rules to people living on the barest of shoestrings, I get to do it while wearing ill fitting polyester. Apparently we won't have to pay for the uniform but it disturbs me that many of my colleagues think this uniform business is actually a good thing. So yes, I think I should be planning the next stage of my working life. Don't think I'll be able to leave by 2014 but I need to be thinking about what else I could do. Suggestions most welcome.
wattle
On Friday I thought I was having a manic attack, after a sleepless night of racing thoughts and a few tears. Now I've forced a couple of good nights sleep and I feel OK. I can still drive and do normal things but I'm taking on extra projects and well, am being just a bit up. Maybe I should talk to my doctor this week. It's hard to tell really. Maybe it's just the onset of spring. I love it when the weather starts lightening up and the days get longer and you don't have to wear proper shoes. Then we get the spring winds and people acting all crazy at work because it's well known that spring triggers mood disorders and well, I have my own issues with spring. So yeah, me and early spring we don't do too well together. It's something I always forget until I remember again. Sigh.
wattle
Best show you some spring pictures and go get ready for bed. My camera battery is all charged so I can get packed for the excursion tomorrow. Scienceworks!  Love an excursion and I normally miss out because I can never a get a flex when I want one. This one I can do, so can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch, the uniform thing, given where you work, is a very weird development.
    Ah, isn't the wattle wonderful right now...

    ReplyDelete