socks "r" us

Lately for me, it's been all about the knitting. I was making a hat* out of some reclaimed handspun and had the thought that this yarn would make nice socks. And then I decided, that yes I could knit socks and searched ravelry for a pattern that I could almost understand. And then I found these videos on youtube. Oh, the internet is a wonderful place sometimes. I also consulted the internet for the super stretchy cast on and for details of how to kitchener graft the toe. The first kitchener graft was super dodgy but the second is a beauty to behold. Felt like weaving magic. I was worried about turning the heel, it looked so daunting, but it really wasn't that hard. Just some counting and keeping track.

turned heel

Anyway I decided very early on in the project that learning to knit socks in handspun might not be the best idea. It was very hard to see anything. So I had a look through my stash and decided on some wool/alpaca Bendigo wool that lovely Kate had sent me last year. My only concern was that the yarn might need handwashing but in a fit of huff after Grace declared the socks itchy, I tossed them in with the other woollens and they are softer and more delightful than ever. Luckily my machine does have a super gentle wool wash.

Grace in her slipper socks
It also became apparent that as I was knitting the socks with a different wool than the pattern called for, the socks would be far too small for me. Grace had the brilliant idea that they could be for her. Because they were kid size. Even though they are a yucky green** and are too thick to wear with shoes. They are her slipper socks and now they have been de-itched she appears to love them. She doesn't even care about the dodgy toe. I have since started another pair of socks, in proper sock yarn, also from lovely Kate. Grace is devastated that these socks are not for her. So maybe I'll just have to knit another pair. That she can wear with shoes. I am thrilled to have learnt how to knit socks, it's something that I thought would be too tricky for me but that turns out not to be the case. Now I'm thinking that after another couple of pairs, maybe I could learn to knit patterned or lacy socks!


*said hat (which I haven't had a chance to photograph yet) has  found a good home on the head of a friend who had a birthday recently. The gift of this hat was G's idea and really it seems to have worked out well.
** yucky according to her standards but chosen because these socks were going to be for me and I think it is a lovely colour.

8 comments:

  1. I love knitting socks. I love tackling the lacy ones which I think are too tricky for me but then I fathom it all out in the end. Unfortunately, I have never, not ever, been able to convince myself to cast on a second sock. I'm waiting for inspiration sock lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super-impressed with your prowess and application. I felt my brain explode a little bit when I tired to read a bit of the pattern from your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't get the pattern either until I watched the videos. Then it made a sort of conceptual sense. Then I went back to the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kitchener stitch, it feels like magic. Although I do have to do it in a quiet no-children-or-husbands-allowed room with no distractions while I chant the Special Incantation.

    Go you. Can't wait to see your next pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky Grace .... those socks , far from yucky , are a perfect Wood Fairy green .
    Now you've got the sock bug though , you can knit her a dazzling pink pair .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo- congratulations! Sock knitting is such an exciting and amazing thing to undertake- the process of crafting a 3d object always fascinates me, and the end results can be so comforting... Wishing you warm feet always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suffering sock knitting envy, actually knitting envy in general. Terribly impressed (I am a cack-handed knitter).

    ReplyDelete
  8. tis the time of year for great slippers
    sock it to 'em :)

    ReplyDelete