now we are six

But now I am six, I'm as clever as clever;
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.now we are six

Grace turned six last week. A keenly awaited birthday with much counting down and calendar checking. And discussion about presents. Not that she wanted anything in particular, just that presents are important when you are six it seems. We are planning a party and have said that she can invite some or all of her classmates, but as her birthday falls during the school holidays, the party will be after school goes back. There are only eight girls in her class and she's keen to have as many of them attend as possible. I don't think all the boys will come but even if they do, we'll squash everybody in somehow. Even if it rains. I'm quite looking forward to it actually. Grace has finally given up on the idea of supermarket ice cream cake and has asked for a rabbit cake. With yellow icing. Yum, an excuse to make shapes with cake and use butter cream icing again! Gerard is making a pinata and Grace wants dance music and a game called bob freeze which as far as I can make out is like statues. We will probably also play pass the parcel and pin the tail on the donkey. If the weather is nice they will probably also spend a lot of time running around the backyard. If it rains, well, we'll have to turn up the disco music and they can play at being in a cramped nightclub (12-15 kids in our lounge room will be quite crowded, especially if they are moving). Please don't let it rain.

now we are six

On the actual day of Grace's birthday we had presents at breakfast before I rushed of to work. The big present from both of us was a watch which I think was a pretty inspired idea. She also received books, lego and a mummy made soft toy. I love making these toys for Grace and I think she genuinely appreciates them. Later after work we met for dinner in a Vietnamese restaurant with her grandfather and Nina. Although she didn't love the food, she did greatly enjoy going out for dinner and considering where I work and the number of restaurants nearby, perhaps that's something we could do more often. During the day, I remembered her birth (only the good bits) and some of those early days of motherhood. As my father mentioned at dinner, I went loopy afterwards, but as I also pointed out, that really wasn't until three months later and I remember being really, really happy after Grace was born. I also remember feeling quite clueless, as in you mean they let us take this little baby home from the hospital? I also remember breastfeeding and reading the instruction book, -  Robin Barker's Baby Love at the same time.  Sometimes I still feel baffled, but really after six years, I kind of feel that being a mother is well and truly part of who I am now. And I haven't read an instruction book in years (although I do occasionally look up child related issues on the internet). I feel lucky that Grace is my daughter. She is clever and kind, funny and imaginative, loves to dance and read books, play with her toys and hang out with her people. She loves pineapple and mango, chicken and all sorts of cake. Missing school is the worst kind of terrible and she loves doing the exercises in the maths activity book she chose while we were out the other day. There are tears and big dramas sometimes but not that often. She loves to swim and go out on the bus, especially to norfland. Happy birthday Grace!

7 comments:

  1. And happy birthday to you too Mum. Don't forget to schedule a rather strong cup of tea for after the party. YOU WILL NEED IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your lovely 6 year old. Sounds like a great day. Good luck with the party too, I am genuinely relieved to be past the Prep convention of inviting everyone for a party but not so much of a bah-humbug that I don't see that it's a great thing to do for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Grace! Absolutely beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a delightful mother birthday musing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Grace - and happy Birth-day Janet!

    ReplyDelete