more new adventures in knitting

So. I have finished the vest. It has been blocked and is folded over the back of a kitchen chair, waiting for me to try it on once I shower and get dressed. Tsk, Tsk, still in my dressing gown at midday. So is Grace, she's watching ABC kids and eating raisin toast. Anyway, the knitting. The knitting. Not sure. It was a bit tight and a bit thick when I tried it on yesterday before blocking. Despite adding some extra stitches. I think the design is meant to be more form fitting than I am comfortable with. I don't really like bulky knits either. It didn't look too bad when I tried it on damp (thinking of how people used to mould denim jeans to their shape by wearing them in the bath). But I can't wear a damp vest. We shall see. I may yet rip it. But I will photograph it for ravelry first. 


scissors and plastic needle


Once I finished, I felt quite sad - my comfortable TV project has gone. That's good in a way, it means that I like the process in itself. I have felt the same when I have finished big crochet projects. So maybe garments on small needles might be the way to go. Anyway, I do have some next projects in mind. A baby hat for a friend's baby due to arrive soon and perhaps a beret for me. Unravelling some opshop jumpers to try my hand at reclaiming wool. Started one last night and it was a disaster (oh how the learning process continues). The seams were sewn together in a way that made them hard to unpick - even though it was a hand knit. But I love the wool, a dark grey 5ply with a bit of colour variation. It will most likely become part of a crochet rug or a vest. I have a pattern I am thinking of drafting from scratch. Ambitious? The other jumper to unravel is a loosely knit pale blue mohair and I was going to dye the wool and make something for myself but Grace loves it, so I may try making her a short sleeved jumper. 


before knitting the band


So what else? Knitting in public, yeah. Not as easy as I thought. I feel too squashed on the train - and really it is a very short trip. Took it to a family lunch and that was not as comfortable as I would have thought. All I can say is that my family has some issues about knitting and craft in general that go a long way back. Which has made me realise anew how much I appreciate having a partner who makes things himself and who supports and encourages me to make things. Especially when that support is sometimes just taking it for granted that this is what we do. And part of who we are. It goes without saying too that, I also really appreciate that I can go on craft weekends and have a dedicated sewing area in our tiny house. That's important to me. Oh and G decided that he didn't mind if I knit whilst he drove as long as I could still do directions as required and it didn't stop me talking to him. Which does seem to be the issue - I have learnt that I need to set aside special concentrating time for casting on and tricky bits. Otherwise it is fine.


Crochet is starting to look very tempting - but I think I need to keep going with the knitting. A couple of yearsand I will start to have an idea of what I am doing.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really proud of you, taking on that vest, doing the mods, different yarn, etc. Did you block it really hard, ie. wet it thoroughly and stretch the hell out of it to make it bigger?
    Also, I'm afraid I have to report that mohair is a bugger to undo. All the hairs matt together. Might be a jumper for felting instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did block it really hard Suse, and it is OK I suppose. I just don't like it that much as a garment. It's too thick. But I love how the two wools knit up. It would work as a cardigan perhaps. Oh well - I'm less upset about it than I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear, so disappointing. But truly an impressive endeavor! Definitely take pics - and from personal experience I would give it a couple of weeks before deciding for sure whether to rip it or not. Sometimes finished objects just need time to become garments instead of impoerfect projects.
    I am very interested in family craft issues, but refuse to pry. There are lots of places I could knit but I don't - family gatherings are one of them. No issues that I know of, it's just one more thing for the aunts to exclaim over and be unbearable about. Although, it was useful that one time Grandma brought up Israel. I knit faster when I'm tense - that sleeve whipped up in no time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Janet- even if it didn't turn out perfect it's a great thing to finish a garment and to learn from it too. I think, like sewing, there can be a lot of trial and error in knitting, to get the fit/style right for you. In some ways it's frustrating because the time spent is much longer than in sewing something, but at least you can (most of the time) re-use the materials!
    I have to agree with you re having a creative and supportive partner. A wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete