new taxes we could all grow to love

I have to tell you, I had a shit of a day at work today. Busy and hard. Making me feel like crying with anger and frustration and sadness hard. One of those days when all the rhetoric of social inclusion and ending homelessness disappears into the bureaucratic swamp. All I wanted to do was make an appointment with a housing worker for a bright young kid who was finding it difficult to study because they didn't know where they'd be sleeping each night. Actually, it was more complicated than that (it always is), and in the end I had to escalate the matter up the tree because sometimes you have to do everything you can not to let that person fall through the cracks. Really, as a society we need to do better. As a world we need to do better. Much better.


As I was unwinding after my day, cruising bloglines I saw this video at hugo and elsa. God, it's good. I laughed and then I thought, you know, why not? 


http://www.youtube.com/v/PgM6OKcsXz4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01


You can also read more about the Robin Hood tax here, and while you're there become a fan on facebook (maybe also send a suggestion to your friends) and check out the famous Australians who also think it is a good idea.


Now while we're on the subject of new taxes, you should also go and read Kim's post Mad as Hell. She's right, we need a better approach to disability services in this country. You can read more about the issue on the Mad as Hell website and I personally think that the proposed national insurance scheme, something like the medicare levy is totally achievable and sensible. Hell, maybe some of the Robin Hood tax could help out too. I am acutely conscious as I do my work that large sections of our community live in unacceptable poverty, especially in a country as prosperous as Australia*. Having a disability or caring for someone with a disability makes it far more likely that you'll be one of them. As it says on the Mad as Hell website, The disability support system must find ways to achieve positive outcomes for people with disabilities and plan for future needs.

Don't you love social media? If lots of people got behind these ideas, maybe just maybe we could change the world.


* I think we also need to help people in other parts of the world. Basically I think we need to spread it around. The natural wealth and resources of the world belong to each and every one of us. Not just those most adept at turning them into riches for a few.


3 comments:

  1. Brilliant ! I remember years ago one of my cousins telling me how her daughter , who worked for some bank in the city , had a assistant whose job it was to replace the contents of the fruit bowl on her desk if even a grape was tasted .I thought she was exaggerating ..... she probably wasn't .
    Meanwhile I hope the young student finds security soon and can get on with all the things students actually go to college for .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out bloss. No-one gets left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so true. As frustrating as your work can be, it is wonderful that there are people like you taking an interest and working the system for people who need it. So vital, but it is so sad that society works such a way that this kind of assistance has to be fought for. Fingers crossed that society doesn't work like this forever.

    ReplyDelete