a small project

A while ago Mary mentioned a project that I've been thinking about on and off. As I understand it, the project involves taking a picture of the same scene each week for a year. I thought and thought and then when I looked back on last years photos realised that there is one local scene I consistently take photos of and in a year it may not still be here. The old Kodak building is a landmark in my area (yeah, I know, I've pretty much just told you all where I live but I'm deciding I'm OK with that) and it's due to be pulled down to make way for a housing development.
As long as all the toxic chemicals are gone, I think the land is well suited to housing but I'm sad that the building can't be re-used (apartments? a high school?). I'll miss it's looming presence. The orange brick walls which glow in certain lights. The black stripes. We can see Kodak from our back yard, from the kitchen window. You walk past it if you go for a walk up the creek or just walking around the neighbourhood. I'd love to go inside but there was another fire there a week or so ago and I think it'd be pretty dangerous. I like these photos here and here. There's still heaps of stuff in there, like pictures and wood panelling and coffee cups in the tea room.
I don't know whether I'll post a Kodak picture once a week, but I'm going to try. Unlike Mary's project the pictures won't be from the same viewpoint each time as I'm going to try and document what happens to this particular patch of earth overr a year. Maybe I'll call it the "so long kodak project." We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I like your project! I've been thinking about something similar - especially because I tend to be "obsessed" by places and to photograph them again and again. Maybe I'll keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at that factory too. I keep meaning to take myself off to the tram depot near me because it's a gorgeous building and also they are going to phase out the W-classes and I wouldn't mind a few shots. As ever, I suspect I will never quite get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to watch this building's progress over the next year . A brilliant idea . Industrial architecture is the best kind for photos . I'm already waiting for next week .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great project to come up with. Works on several levels, visually, socially and personally. I wish the building was being re-used too, could b such an interesting space!

    ReplyDelete