happy new years in the neighbourhood

We spent New Year's Eve with some of our lovely neighbours and friends. It was last minute and perfect. We drank mojitos and had a BBQ as thunder crackled and electricity filled the air. The children bounced naked on the trampoline and adults took turns wearing the silly party glasses. I said, I don't think it will rain, not properly but it poured and we adjourned to Mim's shed. Honestly, I don't think I can remember a summer when it's been this wet and green in late December for years and I'm hoping it's a sign of more to come. Perhaps that's why I quite like this dorky photo, not only does it have party glasses but you can see the rain.

The children played inside mostly, staying up well past the hour and there wasn't any fighting or tanty throwing. When the New Year arrived there was thunder and fireworks all at the same time. I think. Or at least that's my impression of the night, wet, electric yet calm, thundery and lots of fireworks. And it was good to look over in the direction of our house and see our neighbours from two doors up's fireworks in the distance. Walking home, the night was cool and wet with a certain luminescence to it. We stopped to watch some kids let off more fireworks in the street. Yeah, fireworks are big around here. When we got home, the house was still hot but Grace went to bed without a fuss. I sat up for a while, feeling sort of truffle like. As though I'd been cloaked in sweat and then dusted with something gritty but I rolled off to bed and slept the sleep of the happy. A really good New Year's Eve.
Not much in the way of resolutions yet. Except for this, to simplify and make space for the new. In all sorts of ways.
Happy New Year to you and may your year be full of all that is good. And rain if you need it.

7 comments:

  1. A gorgeous photo and I wish I had experienced this wet summer - what a joy! I hope your year continues as it has started, full and joyous. Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The happiest of new years to you too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year to you and yours!
    and I just wanted to tell you that when I was originally skimming the post in Google Reader, I READ "The chicken bounced naked on the trampoline" and even after rereading and correcting myself, the original mental image makes me giggle insanely. You guys CLEARLY know how to par-tay : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Janet, and to your family too. Fixit and I stood in our front yard at midnight and saw a surprising amount of fireworkery. Our suburb thumbs its nose at Legislation to ban unlicenced crackers. Which was good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year - gee I love reading your neighbourhood posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year! There were fireworks going off in our neighbourhood too. While it rained...
    I love the party glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it was a lovley evening, thankyou for coming, love the glasses photo x x x

    ReplyDelete