love of liberty

One thing I've learned about me and craft weekends is that a warm up project can be a good thing. One that is easy enough to get right and ease into the feel of the machine again. This time it was especially true and I decided to work on one of my long term re-fashion projects before starting on my big project. A while ago I bought this hideous shirt from the opshop opposite the doctors. We were there with Grace and it wasn't a good opshopping moment so I grabbed it in a hurry, without much thought for the simple reason it was made from Liberty Lawn and 50 cents. I adore Liberty fabric and can rarely afford to buy it new and if I do, have to hold onto it for a while before I lose the fear of cutting it. Anyway over the years, I've found a few pieces in opshops either as pieces of fabric or as garments that could be reworked. And it's a fabric that seems to wear and last really, really well.


Later when I got the shirt home, I realised that it had deep tucks/pleats and that I might get something for me out of the pieces, despite Grace laying claim to it.Over the next few weeks (and months), I washed, unpicked and pressed the fabric and realised that although there were a couple of stains and some faded bits, I could probably get a camisole top for me out of it. I'm really very pleased with how it came out. The fabric was a joy to work with and sewed like a dream despite being fairly lightweight. As it's too brief and bra strap/bingo arms revealing for work, it will be a casual/round the home top but I'm thinking I'll have it for years. Not bad for a re-fashioned 50 cent shirt from the opshop. I'm now also thinking of using a precious purchased liberty piece I have in the suitcase under my desk to make a peasant top. One that I could wear to work and round about. Because I know I'd love it and it would last and because I don't think I could have too much liberty lawn in my wardrobe right now. Even if it the weather has taken a cool turn since November.

6 comments:

  1. You're so clever. Clothes sewing is scary... let alone taking clothes and remaking them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really impressive refashion - I especially admire your persistence in taking out the pin tucks! And I think you are right that it is the quality of the Liberty fabric that makes such radical rework possible. You'd never know from the final top that it had been used before. I need to be more imaginative with my refashions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful new top you have refashioned there - I'm so impressed! I would not know a piece of Liberty if I fell over it but I can see the appeal in the pattern - it looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so much talent. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay!!!
    Yeah, I still havn't cut into a Liberty shirt I found months ago at the opshop, havn't found the courage. The fabric is just too good.
    p.s. Thanks for telling me the name of my new opshop plant - that is helpful!

    ReplyDelete