obsessions

It was quite a while ago that Eleanor tagged me. But here it is. Meme on.

What are your current obsessions?
The biggest is what I've been calling my winter wardrobe re-invigoration project, and it is not progressing nearly as well as I'd like. The first part, which involved a ruthless removal from my wardrobe of any clothing that didn't work, didn't fit or had worn out, has taken place. The second part involving some new clothes, not so much. Lots of sewing in my head, not enough at the machine. A spot of shopping, but really there's only so far that can take me. There's just not that much out there that fits well and that I like and that I can afford/justify. Like for example the bubble skirt (I know, I know but it was a tasteful understated kind of bubble) at Towanda that I loved but it was $240, not even wool and probably far too dressy for work.  I dream about that skirt and its aceness but I just can't justify spending that amount of my clothes budget on a skirt it, no matter how I twist it. I might spend that sort of money on shoes that I would wear for three or more years. But not on an ephemeral type of skirt. The cost per wear equation is not certain enough. Especially since I could make a skirt from material I already have in an afternoon. (But I may go and try that skirt on again.... because maybe I could make one like it.... you see I really am obsessed here!) Anyway the clothing thing will have to be sorted before I go back to work week after next, because really... I've hardly a thing to wear.

Other obsessions are learning to use blogger (in particular the old-blogger-doesn't-have-pages-chestnut), thinking about the garden and renovations, hard rubbish and old dolls found in skips. And cheesecake.

Which item from your wardrobe do you wear most often?
My new jeans with my newly refashioned jumper. And woollen socks and birks at home, keens out and about. When I go back to work, I think it will be all about the boots.

What's for dinner?
Buggered if I know (as it turned out - brown rice with peas, caramelised onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, spinach with a scattering of roasted almonds and grilled tofu pieces).

What's your greatest fear at the moment?
A week or so ago it was the swine flu. Now I'm just having the weird dreams you get at the end of the cold when you take too much benadryl nighttime (for the hacking cough) in which I end up with seven children because of a deadly plague and I have to go back to work (because the plague has wiped out half the workforce) and there is no-one to look after the children. Then there is the one that involves searching for obscure product codes on google.... Goodness knows what that's about.


What are you listening to?
Dogs barking, the whirr of the computer, the tap of the keyboard and G talking to Grace as she rises from her nap in the tent. The only way we can get her to have an afternoon nap at the moment is in a sleeping bag out in the tent in the backyard - but it's good, she doesn't nap too long and we're transitioning away from the nap.

If you were a goddess what would you be?
Beautiful, bountiful and nice. Except when I wasn't.


What are your favourite holiday spots?
Down near Wilson's prom is nice. As is the desert. Once I liked road trips and maybe I will again one day, but the thought of packing, leaving, being away, coming home and then unpacking just sounds like too much hard work. I guess I'm trying to say that my favourite holiday spot at the moment is right here. At home. Bonding with the house and the neighbourhood. It's very nice.  

What are you reading right now?
Sherri S Tepper - Gibbon's Decline and Fall. It hasn't grabbed me yet, but it might. I loved Grass and The Gate to Women's Country. 
What is your guilty pleasure?
Liquorice allsorts. Weird google searches late at night for shoes, bubble skirt patterns and how to take flattering photos of oneself (obviously one doesn't give one's camera to a four year old with the iso turned up to 800).

Who or what makes you laugh?Kids pulling funny faces. Comedy on telly. When Grace says "Oh" like a teenager.

What is your favourite spring thing to do?
Watch the newly green lawns turn to brown. Not. In recent years spring hasn't been the joy it once was. Ok being positive now, opening doors and windows. Smelling blossom wafting in a gentle breeze. Bringing in crispy dry washing. Eating cherries. I don't know, it's hard to think about spring when winter is just around the corner.

Where are you planning to travel next?
Lancefield? Beyond that I have no plans. We were going to go away over these holidays but somehow we never quite got that organised. I've had a beastly cold and like I mentioned before, it's been nice being at home.

What is the best thing you ate or drank lately?
The pea and ham soup we had for lunch the other day was pretty nice. As was the lemon lime cheesecake with gingernut crust that followed. Mmmmm cheesecake. Something about that combination of creamy and citrusy with that gelatine texture. I need to make cheesecake again soon.

When was the last time you were tipsy?
Do you know? I honestly can't remember. The purple pills and alcohol are unpredictable together, so I'm a very modest drinker these days. But I'm due an occasion of immoderate drinking soon.  I can just tell.



What is your favourite ever film?
Cue pathetic voice here. I can't remember. Haven't been to the cinema since before Grace was born and I guess there's even less incentive to go now we have a cool telly. The other day I watched The Lives of Others on DVD and it was sad and thought provoking. I've also been meaning to watch Children of Men again and go and see Sampson and Delilah (on the big screen).

What is the biggest lesson you've learned from your child?Apart from all the stuff about the love and being a better person and having to do things in two minute intervals and growing eyes in the back of your head and being the grown up, well I guess it would be monkey see, monkey do. So I've had to learn not to yell as much or swear all the time. Well, not unless I want live a shouty life and hear a four year old saying oh for fucks sake. So yeah, we're making an effort here. And sometimes I find that really hard. But blow me down, Grace was so pleasant and polite when her baby chino arrived at the cafe we visited today that the waitress commented on it.

What song can't you get out of your head?I know which song I'd like to be hearing a bit more of.

What book do you know you should read but refuse to?
Windows Vista, The Definitive Guide.

What is your physical abnormality/abnormal physical ability?
I can wiggle my toes from side side

What is your favourite colour?
Green. Dark blue. And black of course.

I would tag, but it's time for cough medicine and bed. So nigh nigh.

4 comments:

  1. I've got Children of Men here, just begging to be watched again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desert! You could come and visit me here. We'll have a spare bedroom soon. And an outside washing line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you are feeling better now? check my blog to see what I did with the jumper you gave me ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of using naps in the sleeping bags in the tent to induce an afternoon sleep - adorable and so funny!

    ReplyDelete