a bit about christmas and 100 things not about christmas

Homemaking is motoring along at a fine old pace, interspersed with some small moments of pre-christmas anxiety, noticeable, but dulled right down by the mood stabilisers. Sometimes I wonder if anything can really and truly move me these days. And I kind of miss my manic at the moment, but being able to sleep at night is a bonus, I suppose. Found myself saying to dad yesterday that I'm going through my list and trying to work out what I can get out of doing in the next few days, he laughed and said he understood that. Because I've decided to go on a solstice picnic today instead of baking and sewing and doing all the christmassy things I was going to do yesterday. Never mind, in the last couple of days we have put the curtains up, re-organised the shed and I've run a shitload of messages, cleaned the toilet to such an extent that I now know that the enamel is perished, done shopping and paid all the bills I could find. So there will be much less to do after Christmas, which is really the point of all this running around, if you think about it. Three days of as much idlness as possible before returning to work. Yep, I can see it's going to be one of those slack arsed Christmases, complete with lame presents. I don't mind lame presents either. Indeed in a way I quite like them. Tony, he doesn't care.


Anyway, I thought I'd do a bit of a meme. I saw this one at Leah's and it seems to be an australianised version of the one I saw the other night at Suse's. I've bolded the things I've done, italicised the things I'd like to do. Things in bold and italics are things I'd like more of.

1. Started your own blog (well der, who would do a meme except for someone who has a blog? Maybe this is so everyone can answer at least one question. Anyway blog number 6 is in the pipleine and seven is waiting in the wings - hopefully they'll be group endeavours).
2. Slept under the stars (we so need to go camping again).3. Played in a band. (heh heheh. I am the least musical person I know.)
4. Visited The Great Barrier Reef. (Several times. I plan to take Grace there for a holiday once she's old enough to snorkel and enjoy it. G says he'll sit in the car).
5. Stood under the stars in the outback, the real outback – think Uluru.
6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
7. Been to the Gold Coast’s theme parks – anyone, you take your pick.
8. Climbed a mountain (Mount Warning, to watch the sunrise on new years morning. It was steep and dark).
9. Held a praying mantis.
10. Sung a solo (see number 3).
11. Bungee jumped, jumped out of plane, been paragliding or hang-gliding, hot air ballooning. (No way, uh uh, not on my wishlist at all).
12. Visited Melbourne. (Nope, lived here all my life).
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea.
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. Does blogging count? Photograpy?
15. Had a child. Raised a child. Worked with children.
16. Had food poisoning.
17. Been to the Snowy Mountains (and as a youngster been chased out of a high country cabin by feral pigshooters).

18. Grown your own vegetables.
19. Visited the Brett Whitely studio in Surry Hills, Sydney.
20. Slept on an overnight train or bus.
21. Had a pillow fight (yep, along with other boarding school cliches such as the midnight feast)
22. Been backpacking.
23. Taken a mental health day (more like a mental health month, last christmas).
24. Been buried in sand with just your head and toes sticking out (yuck, yuck, yuck).
25. Held a possum, kangaroo or koala – or any other native Australian animal.
26. Gone skinny dipping.
27. Been in a fun run (I don't think that's ever, ever going to happen).
28. Been on the Blue Mountain cableway. 
29. Seen a total eclipse.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.
31. Played, or watched, summer cricket (it's a constant background of life in summer here, I almost enjoy it now).
32. Sailed, kayaked or canoed our beautiful waterways (I had quite a thing for kayaking in my twenties until I tipped myself in a freezing river three times in a row).
33. Seen the Daintree.34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors.
35. Visited an Aboriginal settlement or mission.
36. Learned a new language.
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied.
38. Toured the Sydney Opera House.
39. Tried rock climbing (indoor or outdoor), abseiling or just simple bushwalking (again in my twenties that was the sort of thing I liked, it was kind of between two different stoner phases of my life - I do think about going bushwalking again. Rockclimbing or rock scarbbling for any length of time is not something I enjoy)).
40. Visit Queensland’s Gallery of Modern Art.
41. Been to the Tamworth Country Music Festival.
42. Sunbaked at Bondi.
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant (although a stranger once bought me a steak dinner in amsterdam, I was young and innocent and didn't have much money. It never occured to me that he might have had any motives beyond kindness and maybe he didn't, because he was a perfect gentleman).
44. Visited Broome.
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight (not that I can remember, but I have been to the beach at night, so maybe I have, my big memories are of netting in the surf at night as a kid and being terrified of the big waves I couldn't see coming).
46. Been transported in an ambulance (twice, the first when I fell of a motorbike I was learning to ride and broke my arm and the other when I had the post-natal psychosis and was being transported from the big hospital to the mother/baby unit. Let me tell you, that was a freaky trip).
47. Had your portrait painted.
48. Gone fishing.
49. Seen Tasmania’s old growth forests (some of what's left of them, and it was quite stunning to see how a little bit back from the road could be quite a different story to what you saw as you drove along. Such devastation).
50. Been to the top of Q1, on the Gold Coast.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkelling.
52. Kissed in the rain.
53. Played in the mud.
54. Gone to a drive-in theatre.
55. Been in a movie.
56. Driven the Great Ocean Road.
57. Started a business.
58. Taken a martial arts class.
59. Visited Norfolk Island.
60. Served at a soup kitchen.
61. Sold Girl Guide biscuits.62. Gone whale watching.
63. Got flowers for no reason.
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma.
65. Gone jet boating.
66. Visited Port Arthur.
67. Bounced a cheque
(I hate to say this, but I done it on purpose once or twice).
68. Flown in a helicopter.
69. Saved a favourite childhood toy (no I'm quite unsentimental like that).
70. Visited the Australian War Memorial.
71. Eaten Caviar.
72. Pieced a quilt (just a dolls quilt so far, but I have plans).
73. Stood in Federation Square (umm, yes I live in Melbourne)
74. Been on the Murray River (camped on the Murray more than once, swam in it a few times).
75. Been fired from a job (twice, once because of a recession and once because I kept stuffing up the photcopier).
76. Travelled, or climbed, over the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
77. Broken a bone.
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle.
79. Seen the Three Sisters at Echo Point, Katoomba.
80. Published a book.
81. Visited St Mary’s Cathedral, in Sydney.
82. Bought a brand new car.
83. Been to Hermannsburg (yes, we were investigated by kids in the camp grounds and we visited the Albert Namitjera museum and met some people who know my relos in an obscure town in north west Victoria and who took us fourwheel driving to Palm Valley. It was during this drive that I realised I might be pregnant).
84. Had your picture in the newspaper.
85. Read the entire Bible.
86. Visited Parliament House.
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (I used to keep chickens for that purpose, the male ones given to me by a vegetarian friend who raised chickens for eggs. He grew up on a farm and said that if I ate meat then I should learn how to kill and dress it myself. It's not something I would do again in a hurry unless I had a good reason).
88. Had chickenpox.89. Saved someone’s life.
90. Sat on a jury.
91. Met someone famous.
92. Joined a book club (although I used to be in a writing group, the sort wher you read and critique each other's short stories).
93. Lost a loved one.
94. Saved a pet.
95. Been to the s
ite of the Eureka Stockade.
96. Swum in The Whitsundays.97. Been involved in a lawsuit.
98. Owned a mobile phone (who doesn't these days? Mine is very basic and I'm finally considering getting a plan and upgrading to a new handset).
99. Been stung by a bee (ouch, ouch ouch).
100. Read an entire book in one day.




Right. Off to get my day underway and make cards and bake some biscuits before going on said solstice picnic.



5 comments:

  1. Happy midsummer! I liked reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings of the Season! I enjoyed reading your answers too. Hmm, I think I might do this one...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very tempting meme.
    Hope you have a happy Solstice picnic, and an OK Xmas. Without the mania. But in your OWN house. (win some, lose some)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like yours much more than mine - an Australian version - much more civilised!
    I used to bounce cheques a bit living hand-to-mouth. Safeway used to accept them, and when my paypacket wouldn't stretch, i'd doa big shop, pay by cheque, and pay the $30 bounce fee when my pay cam in, about a week later.
    Not ideal, but it saved my arse quite a few times...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Christmas. You've never held a koala?

    ReplyDelete