all the joy of the season

Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone who reads, comments and or lurks here all the best of the season, however you celebrate it (or not). At work over the last few days I realised anew how many people in Australia, well in Melbourne's inner west, don't actually celebrate Christmas. But still enjoy the spirit of the season and the opportunity to have a holiday. And maybe devise a Christmas of their own, taking bits here and bits there. Which is I guess what we do too. We're not religious but I've found myself reading Grace a nativity story or two which she loves because a) it's a great story full of meaning and depth and b) it features a baby. Very kid attractive. Especially as she hasa new cousin on the way in the next few weeks.  We've also been looking through a book of old paintings called The First Christmas from the National Gallery, London. This one is called The Nativity at Night by Geergen tot Sint Jans and was probably painted in  the mid 1400s.
 
I like how the light emanates from the baby Jesus and I'm reminded of how astoundingly special and magical it is when a new little person comes into this world. How spiritual the energy from a newborn can be. Even alongside the soreness and the tiredness and the weepiness. I find myself wondering if there's a connection to that time of our children as newborns that resonates with us in a particular way at Christmas and partly explains why mothers (and fathers too I guess) try so hard to make the best possible Christmas for our children. Why it's hard to stop with the presents etc. I noticed at work that when people talked about how they were going to spend the extra family tax payment, most of it was on something sensible like school costs or getting ahead/catching up with the bills, but there was also that delight in having a bit extra to spend on the kids at Christmas. Which seems to have made a lot of people very happy. And a lot less stressed.  So work was kind of cruisey in the lead up to the holidays, despite the busyness.

I could go on, but there's white christmas still to make, an excited child to bathe, feed and put to bed and raspberry vodka cruiser or two with my name on it in the fridge.

So may your Christmas be safe and peaceful, merry and delicious! See on the other side.

10 comments:

  1. Blessings of the season to you and yours - I'm highly emotional around Christmas, which I figure is directly attributable to the fact that it's a holiday to celebrate a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wishing you the loveliest celebrations.
    we have been enjoying some nativity scenes too - definitely something special about a newborn babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Janet to you and your family.
    I like to think of Christmas as a festival of childhood. Though I don't believe in God as such, I do love the nativity story, because I really believe in the power of babies to heal and redeem the human spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a lovely post. Merry Christmas Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was lovely indeed. And I have that book I think.
    Hope you had a lovely day IN YOUR NEW HOUSE! Whee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Christmas Janet and to G and Grace too. I certainly found Christmas much less stressful once Mister Rudd sent me all the extra money and have been supporting the economy like mad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS I keep meaning to tell you that I *saw* you in the paper recently, well it mentioned the chick with web skills who helped save Coburg Pool and I thought I know who that is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you had a lovely Merry Merry, janet.
    I drove through Melton/Deer Park today, and let me tell you they are ALL for the Jesus/mary and Baby Jesus Gig .. I was amazed at all the religious lawn fervour. Awesomeness.
    xx

    ReplyDelete