books, unread novels, cookbooks etc

A title on a box not to be be put in the shed. One of two boxes of books I'm allowing myself to put in the house. Not that I'm sure where there will be space. In the kitchen maybe. A whole day of packing and waiting on the phone to speak to telstra, gas, water, electricity providers and telstra again. Received the worst service ever from a customer service officer who couldn't a) tell me when the internet would go off at this end and b) when it would be connected at the new house. Despite me explaining at the outset, that manging this process with the least amount of downtime was really important to me. Obviously, he does not organise  half his life via email. Or blog. You would think that someone working for bigpond would understand that such things are important to their customers. Then he had the gall to tell me that a plan I requested didn't exist and then when I turned into the politely snarky customer from hell and starting reading the details from the bigpond website, he told me it was unavailable, and that his computer was crashing and then put me back in the queue. I was impressed. NOT. Anyway I ended up speaking with a lovely man, who explained what would happen, that I was likely to have only one day offline and that I could upgrade the plan once the move was completed as the move order prevented any further action. And that it was a really popular plan. Far more pleasant.  He took note of my comments about the previous service but just to be sure that it gets through where it should, I have complained officially. Fancy telling a customer that a popular plan didn't exist!



Anyway, moving is hell. I'd be more sentimental about leaving this place if I had time. Talking to the woman who is moving in, kind of brings it on a bit and makes me want to go through my old photos of this house and the people I've lived with here. It'd make a great moving post, for sure, but the scanner has gone and like I can be bothered. Packing is shite. I have far too much stuff. More fabric and books than I ever imagined. There is nearly a complete car load on the front verandah to go to the oppy. And boxes are piling up everywhere. I have only one more full day and two more nights of packing (and a day of work) before the truck with the burly men arrives (oh thank goodness I don't have to physically shift any of it). Eeek. But I'm strangely calm about it all. Yay for mood stabilisers. We spent the weekend finishing up the work on the house we're doing before we move in. There's still lots to do but it's so much better. The floors look lovely and I've warmed to the paint colour. I've cleaned the old paint work in the kitchen and washed all the windows.  I'm looking forward to being in our new house. And unpacking. Resting. Maybe lying on the couch reading a novel.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that it's all nearly here. When you come out on the other side and everything is unpacked around you in your very own place it'll be so worth it. Then you can really put down roots and make your house a home that suits the three of you perfectly.
    *bliss*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving sucks. It doesn't matter how many times I do it, it sucks every single time. I'm about to do it again anyway.
    Which is the only thing holding me back from saying "which oppy?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving is the pits. Sending you happy packing thoughts.. maybe even happy unpacking ones too. We've been in our new house for 22 months now... and only have 6 boxes to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving bites. The good thing about it is that there's an end to it. Once you're in your new house, yippee.
    That's terribley organised of you to put your unread books in the same box and label them that way. Congratulations! Mine are probably in the box with the toothpaste and the TV remotes. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I've had a dream run with Optus so far.
    And space? Wot's that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh at Bianca's comment, that would be me too. And Hey! I've been at this place for 5 years, and last week I found some boxes that still needed to be unpacked. The danger of having a "spare" room. So that's where my photo albums were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to go check your stream after this to see if there's any new piccies of all your hard work at the new place.
    Good Luck - see you on the other side !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, I am a little sentimental on your behalf, I have always loved your blogposts about your current home, but I can't wait to watch the new one live its Muppinstuff history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodluck! I'm habituated to moving hence I 'live light'. Hope all goes well.
    I remember Australian customer service skills only too well; ANZ told me to get my life in order when I complained that the international telephone banking section only functioned between 9-5 and transfers by internet banking weren't possible over the weekend. It's a relief to be living in a country where I don't understand the language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Janet, you're almost there! I'm kinda envious of the spring-clean you inadvertantly always perform when moving. I tend to really chuck stuff. My favourite customer disservice moment was discovering that the insurance policy I had cancelled had in fact, never been cancelled, and that the money would take 3 months to pay back to me, even though it took them just one day to collect it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bit late in commenting so I hope, by now, that you're feeling a little bit settled, and that there weren't too many hurdles and traumas along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a bit late in commenting so I hope, by now, that you're feeling a little bit settled, and that there weren't too many hurdles and traumas along the way.

    ReplyDelete