I'm your best friend

Not the Sunday just gone, but the Sunday before that, Grace and I had a special trip to the zoo. Just Grace and mummy. Sunday has become one of the days we spend at home together while Gerard works on the house. So he can take the car early, I've taken to doing the shopping on Saturday night which is so not my idea of fun. The combination of staff with lacksadaiscal attitudes (obviously the staff with aspirations do not work on a Saturday night), badly stocked shelves, louts in the carpark and interesting young things buying liquor on their way to fabulous parties reminds me that the best I can hope for most Saturday nights these days is to be at home watching teev with my significant other. /end whinge. Anyway, the big, big plus of this new routine is that Grace and I have full morning to do something fun. Usually we just go to the park, but the evening before we were talking about which park, and she said she'd like to go to the zoo again, to see the animals, on the tram.


You'd have to walk all the way, I said. Mummy can't carry you. And she did. Even learnt how to get on and off the tram which she finds scary, because of the big steps. Note to self, always use the steps next to the driver, because they can't see little people and tried to close the door while I was helping her down. Once we got to the zoo, we took a map, which she consulted throughout the day, and decided which animals to visit. It's always the elephants and the primates. Although we did see rather a spectacular lion on the way. And stroke a tiger pelt.





Afterwards we went to play in the park again and the roundabout was going. I'd promised her a ride earlier in the day and Grace was so excited and entranced by the whole thing. Quite a moment really. Although I did think it was odd that the roundabout rotated to "love is in the air" rather than hurdy gurdy music. She cracked it a bit when I wouldn't let her have a second ride but then we had sandwiches for lunch followed by a cupcake for me and green jelly for Grace. Which we shared very nicely. And then she looked at me and said, I'm your best friend. Aww. I had to write it down, because it just thrilled me. In the best possible way. I'm used to getting lots of cuddles and I love you, mummys but this was different. It was all about doing things together and it being really good. Later that week Grace told Gerard that Daddy does all the work, Grace does all the playing and that Mummy and Nana do all the talking. Indeed. The world according to Grace.

14 comments:

  1. Sheesh, poor old Gerard, doing all the work and never getting to play or talk.
    Sounds like a lovely day at the zoo. I just adore the merry-go-round. They played ABBA last time we rode it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo grace.how cute is she.i hope my little hana thinks im her best friend one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a perfect day. I love those moments when you see the world through your child's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of that division of labour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had this totally surreal experience in 2001 at the Brighton Pier in England where they played Leonard Cohen music. It was misty, those massive seagulls were dangling in the sky and then with all the strangely carnivalesque machines and throngs of people - it was one of the most truly surreal moments of my life.
    Zoo sounds fun. I love the Melbourne zoo. And I love being best friends. When they say stuff like that it makes you think you can perhaps avoid all the other baggage in the parent/child relationship (even though you know you can't really).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mummy and Nana do all the talking.
    Just the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh isn't she just the sweetest. I hope she says the same thing when she's 10.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's growing up....
    she looks so big in that last photo. (Um... I mean big as in tall. Not blowsy or bulky. Just wanted to make that clear!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firstly, thank you very much for visiting me on my return to blogland and your kind and supportive words - they are much appreciated.
    This post was lovely. It's wonderful when kids come out with these sorts of things just so spontaneously.
    I ventured into the city with my own two girls today. We had a big adventure on the train then the ferry - squishing our toes in the sand at Manly beach. It was a good reminder to the girls that fun doesn't have to be expensive either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm my son's girlfriend
    I like it so much - it puts the Spring back into my chicken.
    Grace is a keeper.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of a sudden Grace is looking so grown up in your photos!
    It's funny watching kids grow up on blogs! She's so sweet and funny and smart, keep recording those special moments. I wonder if our kids will read our old blogs in 20 years? The mind boggles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That gap between her choppers makes her look so much older and so vulnerable at the same time, it's adorable :) The Ratbag told his dad the other day that they were best buddies, but Mummy and Peanut could be best buddies too.. aaaaw

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've inspired me to take the kids to the zoo, we haven't been for ages...

    ReplyDelete