it's lucky eight is a good number

On Friday we took ownership of our new house. Settlement occured the afternoon before, but I guess you could say that the eighth of the eighth o'eight was the first full day we owned it. Along with the bank, of course. Setting off in the morning was very exciting, so exciting we forgot to play music in the car (that's quite big for G, he plays music everywhere). Eventhough it was childcare day, we took Grace for a look first. The house was dirty. And full of detrius: safety pins, lolly wrappers, pills, tampon wrappers, coins, coathangers, dog hair. Lots of dog hair. And yet once we opened the curtains and the windows, it was immediately better. After walking Grace to childcare, via the park, I started with the garbage bags. Then mum, Lance and Ruby came to visit. There was a lot of standing around and looking. And it was a glorious day, with little white puffy clouds in a blue sunshiney sky. And as the house is near the top of a hill, there are some big sky views. I like that.


Gerard did a magificent job mowing grass that was so high, the children were frightened. I swept and knocked away dirt inside. It wasn't that hard. It's still pretty dirty but it's getting that empty look. So full of promise. I tell you, it was a very happy day. This house feels very right for us. After lunch, I had a twighlight zone moment with the eights in the date and realised that the street number is also an eight. I had planned to write something here about those moments of joy, but by the time we got home and through bath, dinner and Grace's bed, I was nearly falling out of my chair with exhaustion. Happy, but dogtired. All I could do was google eight, and think, phew it is lucky.... Not that I really believe in such things, but you can't have too much luck and it's nice to re-inforce all that feelgood stuff.

On Saturday, the rest of the family came for a squiz and there was lots of standing around and looking at rooflines and pondering the future extension (stca), the dirt and the bathroom. Grace cracked the shits and stated that the house was smelly and 'scusting. It was all a bit much for her. Suddenly her parents are talking brickwork and floorboards, paint finishes and schedules. The ideas and information are being thrown around hurly burly as we ready ourselves for making the big list and schedule that is this weeks goal. And all she sees is a house that isn't her home yet and doesn't really accomodate her in any way. Yet. I think we might paint her room first up. It'll be interesting to see how she views the transformation. Over the weekend, we've met a few of the neighbours and pretty much figured out what we want to do in the next few weeks. Last night I fell asleep dreaming about the bathroom refit, ooh gosh it's exciting.

ps. I'm posting over at Mrs Washalot again. Suits my frame of mind at the moment.

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations Janet.
    Painting Grace's room so she gets first dibs on the homeliness sounds like a great plan.
    I'm so pleased for you. It must be auspicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief for you all. When I was a lurker I know there had been some houses you missed out on. This one sounds definitely meant to be.
    A little bit of buy in from Grace on what she would like in her room and she'll be right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats again, Janet.
    You mightn't believe in the Gods Colluding and Colliding - but I sure do. I would be wetting myself with excitement over the power of "8".
    It's meant to be, and it's meant to be good
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fantastic! And I agree with H&B - any luck can't hurt to help you on the way. I so clearly recall that exhaustion and the list making, and the smells and disgustingness. The standing around and looking and thinking. It's the beginning of a great adventure and we all wish you lots of inspiration and joy :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. hooray! best wishes for your new home.I'm sure you will all settle in quickly now.Lots of hardwork, planning and dreaming ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All those 8s, it does sound auspicious! And if it was worth re-scheduling the Olympic Opening Ceremony for those numbers, well it must have some clout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very excited for you.There is nothing so exciting as a blank canvas waiting to be painted on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, I feel teary with joy for you. The house, despite it's crumbliness, looks so perfect for you, just the kind of place for you to transform into something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how exciting
    making a new space into your home
    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so thrilled and trembly for you!
    And my birthday is on the 8th. It's always been my favourite number.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, the feng shui dudes would be dancing in the aisles at all those eights.
    Couldn't be more auspicious if you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't really believe in it all. But I don't not believe it either. And in this case, I feel like I do believe it.
    "there was a lot of standing around and looking"...such a gorgeous sentence.
    Congratulations, Janet! And enjoy the new clothesline.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A eightish sort of day indeed.
    To imagine the many little displays that will be set up in the light on that windowsill!
    The cleaning sounds daunting but satisfying.
    It took my three-year-old about four months to start calling our new house "our house." He thought our new house was "broken".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, this is so exciting. A houde rife with potential!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited for you Janet, I still remember the first day in our house, I don't think I'll ever forget it. It felt like I was an adult at last.. I've since done things to dispel that feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Janet, thanks for your comment :) it's all about priority setting with the small amounts of time I do have! Thanks for your support though, you've been grand. x

    ReplyDelete