I like moss stitch

 
Spc
Last winter was all about crochet: the computer wrap, various attempts at ripple stitch, a baby blanket. This year I'm knitting. Which doesn't come as naturally. With basic crochet stitches, I can picture what I want to do and know how to get there. More or less. When I'm knitting, I loose track of what I'm doing and forget whether I've done a purl or a plain. The mistake is not obvious until much later which has led to much unravelling and re-knitting. In the case of one scarf, four times before I was happy enough to call it finished. But now I've remembered how to do moss stitch and I'm enjoying knitting. Especially after my once favoured green needles broke and I bought some bamboo ones on sale from spotlight. The bamboo feels light and warm at the same time. Almost enough to make me cross to the other side. 

This scarf is my third and the wool is a cream wool boucle from the sixties or seventies judging by the label. Found at my second favourite opshop. When it's finished, I'm wondering whether I'll branch out and try something with a pattern. To move beyond the square. Although I suppose I could make a blanket. Or design a garment based on squares and rectangles. It's tempting because this sort of knitting is relaxing and goes so well with watching telly or waiting for my photos to upload onto flickr. And I've never learnt how to follow a pattern for crochet or knitting. Sewing yes, but that's different. There's so much more I could make if I could learn to follow a pattern. Maybe.

July's self-portrait theme is skill. See what everyone else is doing here

12 comments:

  1. Forget the knitting, your hair is looking hot.to.trot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very practical skill. I made a couple of needlepoint Christmas ornaments when I was a kid. That's the extent of my skill with a needle of any shape, size, or material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this shot! Love the lighting/shadows. Love the slight blur of your hands as you work. Very artistic and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see your wonderful photography again. Muppinstuff Noir?
    Blessings and bliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like moss stitch too. And I haven't done it since the kids were babies. Hmmm... once I finish the draught-stopper scarf and the strawberry tea cosy people have commissioned, I might test drive the old moss stitch again....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a novice knitter so I haven't tried moss stitch yet. I think. But I have to say that I find following a pattern a complete pain at present. I'm trying an beginner-to-intermediate level scarf with feathery/fluffy wool and I can't get much television watching done at all! Too much concentrating, counting, going back and re-reading the instructions. And I really wanted to use the knitting as a gentle accompaniment to some television watching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one of those love to crochet people and still get WAY Too mussed up with knitting when I try it! Your words and pic are inspiring! My spc pic is called miming around http://amarettogirl.squarespace.com/self-portrait-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to be able to knit, I think it's an amazing craft and your photo for it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, I love that photo. Please do design a garment based on squares - that would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, Moss Stitch is fab. Actually I find the more complex the stitch the less errors I make because I have to concentrate more. BUT, that's no good for knitting while watching telly.
    I agree with all the other comments, that is one fabulous photo. Must remember to do some B&W myself.

    ReplyDelete