ten years ago

Ever since Suse did this one, I've been thinking about my life ten years ago and I'm in a memish sort of mood today, so here goes.


What was I doing 10 years ago? 
Ten years ago I was working in a cafe that I had owned with my mother and my sister for four or five years. I think we sold it in August so at about now, we would have been preparing to hand it over to the new owners, who were former employees. We had started the business as novices and the guys that bought it teached me to cook and run a commercial kitchen. In a lot of ways it was it was a great place (in others it wasn't but I'm not going to write about those) and it's a pity we never made more than a frugal living out of it. Thinking about it makes me feel more than a little nostalgic now. I'm not sure when the photo above was taken but it captures a certain light and mood I used to love, especially when having a break from the kitchen. The summer after the cafe I grew most of my food in my vegie patch (a good year for beans, basil, corn and rouge de marmande tomatoes) worked as a dishwasher and first or second cook and went to lots and lot of parties. Then early the next year, at the conclusion of my summer of love, I met Gerard at a club one night. And life took a very different course from then on.

What are 5 things on my to-do list for today
Remember to pay fees for next term at playgroup, attend to the various bits of bureaucracy that come with buying a house, go to a meeting about Friends of Coburg Olympic Pool's upcoming family funday, decide on what I am going to bake for cake stall at said fun day (I'm thinking gingerbread people from the Time Life Cooking of Germany book),cut Grace's
claws
fingernails.

5 snacks I enjoy
Biscuits, dry roasted unsalted almonds, those peanuts things with the sweet crunchy sesame crackery coating on the outside that my mum buys, liquorice in any form and fresh fruit, but only when it's nice and there are no biscuits around. Only joking, I do like fruit.

5 things I would do if I were a billionaire
Apart from travelling and giving up my day job so that I could immerse myself in creative pursuits and mothering, I think I'd like to set up useful businesses. The sort that help house the homeless, give jobs to the hard to employ, produce handmade toys to replace plastic crap, manufacture nourishing food, make spaces for community connection, reduce, re-use and recycle and generally make this part of the world a better place to live. Even if as businesses they just made enough to keep going. I'm sure it would all probably be harder than it sounds but one can dream.

5 places I have lived
Ringwood, Kew, Carlton, Camberwell and Brunswick. Apart from a short stint in Richmond in a house between the railway tracks and a share house in Fitzroy, these are the only places I have lived. Although I did get to visit my parents who were living in Port Moresby while I was at school in Kew.

Consider yourself tagged.

6 comments:

  1. I love the ten years ago meme. I wish I could go to your cafe now. It looks lovely. Where was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utterly intrigued about the peanut/sesame things. I'm so shallow.
    Your cafe looks gorge. Is it still there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 years ago....
    my life was so different back then.It's funny to think of it. Knee deep in small boys and newly divorced. Things are very different now. (For one thing, the kids are all taller than me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your caff looks like the sort of place Fixit and I would have hung out at ten years ago, drinking coffee and doing the cryptic crossword together. I'm like Penni, I want to know where it was too. It looks like Arcadia in Gertrude st in that picture. In which case I DID hang out there ten years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it does look like Gertrude Street... it's made me nostalgic too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto on the Gertrude St vibe .. in which case, I only lived down the road. Where, where, where was it ( and it's name, at the time ! )
    xx

    ReplyDelete