maybe this might be our house

So, househunting is back on in earnest. But this time we're not seeing as many houses each weekend, it's all very targeted now. We're looking for something cheaper, smaller and possibly not as close to public transport as before. Although all the people I've met at open for inspections tell me how convenient this area is and how close it is to every thing. And that's another thing, I rarely go to an open for inspection or an auction without meeting someone (new or someone I've met before) and having a chat. One woman walked me around the area, talked about growing up there, and pointed out houses of interest and just yesterday, my would be next door neighbour invited me in to have a look at her hardwood floors. It's very friendly. Which is lovely but also freaks me out just a little. If I'm honest.


Anyway, I saw a house yesterday that really did it for me. It's in terrible condition. Looks like a woman hasn't lived there for a while, having that sparse blokey lack of comfort. I know that's a presumptive thing to say (apologies to men who keep house well and women who don't). Maybe I'll rephrase, it looks as though the owner/occupiers have been more focussed on breeding greyhounds than on home maintenance. But the house is in mostly original and solid condition, except for the room at the back which is an add on and sinking into the kikuyu. That might have to be removed and the timber salvaged, or not, but G will know. Not many cracks.The unworkable kitchen and bathroom both have possibility and I wouldn't have to live with them in the long term, unlike some kitchens I've seen that are not to my liking but probably too good to justify changing. A good sized backyard that's big at the back and small at the front with a north easterly aspect. Room for a decent shed/workshop. There's a park at the end of the street and it's a short walk to a local primary school. The house is small, but I've come to the conclusion that two OK sized bedrooms might be better than three really small ones. I have an idea how we might extend and there's room for what I have in mind. Not sure how we'd fit all the pieces of our life in, before that happened. Which could be a while.  Never mind, we haven't even decided yet and even if we do, there's time to work that out.



I got very excited about this house last night and lay awake thinking about this and that, whether it's the right house, right area, right decision for us. And about pulling up all the kikuyu. G hasn't even seen it on the inside yet, but he thought it looked good from the outside. We looked at a another house in the morning, in great condition and with the same layout but on a smaller block and we agreed, nice house, difficult block. I think he might like this one. Of course there's an awful lot of interest in it because of the block, and because it's been advertised at what I think is an absurdly low price range, even in such manky condition. The very young real estate agent was trying very hard to encourage me to put an offer in, but if we decide it's the one, I think I'd like the transparency of an auction. I've been to a few lately that have been total fizzers. Gosh, it's exciting.

11 comments:

  1. The thrill of the hunt! I've been here with the boys for 11 years now, but I still remember the Hunt For The House. It took a little while, but we found the ideal place in EXACTLY the area we wanted. (In the McKinnon zone. So the area available was pretty small.)
    I'm sure that you'll have the same luck. Have fun with the looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, bedrooms do look like a pretty good size.
    I like the look of this one - looks like it's worth saving if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now is definitely a better time to be buying than the last time you posted about looking at houses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a little bubble of excitement for you. There's something prosaic and very beautiful about the idea of a good, solid house (even with a manky kitchen).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of a sun room, too! Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quite like the layout of the house, and I agree about the bedrooms, I hate teeny tiny squishy bedrooms. Seems like a bit of work for G, but I think he will love it! Best of luck xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. : ) how exciting!! the layout is really quite nice!! we have a small house with a fantastic smart layout and that makes a huge difference in how it all works in the end :) wish i had a sunroom, that would be dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. woohoo! I agree to wait for the auction..the house across the road from us didn't sell at auction a few weeks ago, not even one bid, and it's in a great position,so close to west st shops. And then my grandmothers house in oak park didn't reach the reserve (but I think it was a bit high really)...so it seems like lots of auctions are flunking.
    my only query would be not having a hallway, if you have one now, you might miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kitchen has a certain charm but I guess it would be pretty unworkable. Still, looks like there is a lot of charm in that house to be coaxed back to life - how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That kitchen ( and condition of the house) is almost identical to our first house, purchased in Brunswick in 1988.... we just painted the cupboards and walls and sanded the floor to clean it up until we had money a few years later for proper cupboards and benches, don't let mankiness dissuade you if everything else is ok. Ours was an ex squat and drug den and the ( green) bath was BLACK!

    ReplyDelete