and we'll take tony, and my toys, and my big girl bed....

Yesterday was so exciting, as you may have guessed by the title, we bought a house. Or rather wrote out a rather large cheque and signed on the dotted line for an even more frightening one. My dad made the opening bid. When no-one responded to that, the auctioneer made a vendor bid and then the auctioneer asked my dad for another bid, to which he replied, no, why would I? Let's see if anyone else wants to bid (or something to that effect). Then at the last moment another man starting bidding and then I jumped in. At one point the auctioneer said it was with sir (meaning my dad), and I said, no, it's with me now. Everyone laughed. Oh, the theatre of an auction. The bidding crept along in very small increments until the other bidder was reaching for his mobile and then declared himself out. I had the highest bid but it was still under the reserve. As we went inside to negotiate, a couple who hadn't bid tried to come inside too. I remember thinking, who are these people? Anyway, as it turned out we bought the house. The realestate agents shook my hand and kissed me on the cheek (eew!). And then I sat down to sign a whole lot of paperwork and write out said cheque in my chequebook ordered for such an occasion (who writes cheques these days of internet banking?) I was so agitated I could barely hold my pen. Then the vendors came in and shook my hands and kissed me on the cheek (what is with this kissing thing? I know it's exciting but...). The house was swarming with people and Grace was playing outside. Later we all went out the front. I helped the woman from the couple who sold the house to stick the sold sticker on the sign. It was one of those lovely moments of goodwill. Everyone very happy.



After that we decamped to sister Betty's and uncie Camo's for Ruby's first birthday. Very yummy soup (leek and chickpea with saffron threads) and toast for lunch and far too much champagne for someone who takes big purple pills. Followed by carrot cake with lemon icing. Luckily I wasn't driving. I worried that we were overtaking Ruby's birthday celebration, but we all kind of knew that it might be like this and we knew we'd all be together for the day anyway. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of Ruby blowing out her candles, too in the moment, too scattered.  Or of Grace and Ruby playing together. Although I think this one and this one are quite nice.

So anyway we came home and put Grace to bed, mum pulled out all my knitting and showed me how to knit the scarf without so many mistakes and with a tighter edge. Grace didn't eat any dinner and fell asleep on the chair in her bedroom. She knows what's been going on and today we've been talking about fixing the house, she's suggested sticker tape and a hammer. I'm trying to convey to her that it's going to be a long time, but she's concerned about taking her bed and all her toys, tony in his pink cage in the back of the car, all her books and the playhouse at po-po corner. It worries me a little that there is absolutely no garden there, because Grace is at an age where I think a garden to get lost in is a good thing. Maybe I'll plant a forest of tree dahlias and jerusalem artichokes. Or perhaps the fun will be planting a new garden together,

I woke up this morning with many racing thoughts, including the ohmygod, these are some things I really need to do today and oh crap, what if we've bought a dud, what if the aspects all wrong and it's really dark in winter and glaring in summer and we can't work with it and gulp, there's such a lot of work to do and it's a really big project. In the end, I actually tried not to think too much beyond what I have to do this week, there's a fair while before we take possesion, so lots of time to get organised. I did some knitting. And folded some washing and then let the feelings of good fortune and possibilty just flow. We're lucky, I know and appreciate this. It's going to be good, it's already been good.

25 comments:

  1. Oooh, how exciting! What an adrenalin rush... and no more house hunting - think how much free time you'll have to plan your garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.
    As soon as I saw your blog highlighted in my feeds I thought, "ooo, I wonder if they bought the house." Excellent news. There's nothing like having your own place. I know I love having my modest little house... no one can take it away from us. Have fun plotting and planning.... that's the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm awfully pleased for you.
    It'll be great.
    Where is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet!! How freaking exciting - I'm leaping out of my skin. You did it! You really did it!
    Looks purrfect, well done. Good on you. And hooray. And I blew up the sign and read the print, and it's in the right suburb too!!!!!!!!! Yayayayayayayay. I'm so happy for you.
    I'm so not into gratuitous face kissing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic, Janet, congratulations. You will love the house, not many things are as satisfying as fixing up your own place.
    I think auctioneers and real estate agents have real difficulty getting their heads around women as property buyers. I did the bidding on behalf of my parents buying an investment house a few months back: the auctioneer pointed to me and said something about 'it's with the gentleman in the middle', and there was a lot of banter and witticism about a 'lady' making bids against men. When I told them I was a proxy bidder for my parents, they heard that as 'for your dad'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! That's so exciting. I hope this turns into a delightful happy family home for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is brilliant brilliant news. I'm so happy for you.
    Squeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for you! Oh my goodness, this is very exciting. A home-owner! Can't get my still-renting head round it. Whoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, I am SO excited for you. Thanks for the hilarious auction recap and, yes, what is with the kissing? (Do I know you???)
    By the way, you look fabulous in that photo!! Home ownership must agree with you! I love the skirt.
    Good luck. Post lots of pictures.
    Carolyn x (another kiss!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. woohoo
    congrats to the happy new homeowners

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh ... i am beaming happy over here for you :)
    kiss kiss, tee hee
    its coming up two years since we bought ours and its been a lot of crazy work and still is though our garden is finally taking shape and it so feels wonderful still and really it is so fabulous to have a house that is a home :)
    congratulations honey, xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Splendid news! Gosh, makes me want to "start all over again" with a fixer-upper. I enjoyed thinking about all the possibilities - and had plenty of time to do so, while money was being saved!
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, well done, well done, well done. You all look so happy, as of course you would.
    On the no garden: well, you don't have to work around other people's mistakes; you'll get to do it just the way you want.
    Congratulations. And kiss, kiss (I am a gratuitous kisser - suck it up).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait for the upcoming posts of you and Grace in the new garden together, planting, digging, growing, I LOVE IT! Well done on the auction, how long's the settlement? You might be moving in just in time for spring... so excited for you ! xo Mags

    ReplyDelete
  15. im really happy for you and your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. CONGRATULATIONS! How exciting! I'm thrilled for you, may it be the house of your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good? GOOD? OMG, congrats! Well done, I just know this will be a house of happiness and joy.
    xoxoxL

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's great news - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay!!! GREAT NEWS!! COngratulations.
    Just think - soon all your house decorating/cleaning/tidying/reno/comfy-making efforts will be for the three of you!!
    Not some Landlord.
    I'm so pleased for you. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooh, congratulations! Very grown up indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YAY! Big congrats to you both. Love that photo of you guys standing in front of the signs. Very exciting. Can't wait to see pictures of the new place when you move in (no pressure to share with the world, no, none at all!!).

    ReplyDelete