new life in neglected garden

With the recent rain and cooler weather our garden has sprung back to life. Seeds are sprouting everywhere. Self sown seeds, seeds from when I emptied all the remaining seeds from the big seed tin. Lots of mystery. But I've seen cos lettuce, radish, bok choy and silver beet. Calendulas (which are close to a weed here) and much parsley. I'm hoping for some beetroot too because homegrown winter beetroot is a revelation. Talking about revelation, we ate the one apple that made it to maturity on the golden delicious apple tree. There were three, one disappeared early and Grace picked the second before it was ripe after I asked her not to (she'd been eyeing it off) and discovered the kind of trouble where there is no yelling, just quiet disapointment. Anyway, one apple made it and we ate it in turns and it was so truly unbelievably delicious, so perfect, I found myself asking, is that the same type of apple we buy in the shop?



The sage are starting to flower and there are geraniums everywhere, among the euphorbia and up into the tree tops. Some of the decidous trees in the park have new growth, dead leaves and leaves about to change colour and fall. It occurs to me that really we have two major growing seasons here, spring and autumn and in my next garden I should try and plan most of my activity around them. Occasionally you do have a summer with enough rain for summer vegies. Although with a tank or grey water system we could probably manage a small summer garden even in dry conditions. Not in this garden though, I'm quite enjoying letting go and just watching, doing the occasional tidy up. Or not. I'm having lots of thoughts about our next garden. There will definitely be apple and other fruit trees. I'm imagining the sort of garden that does well with sporadic burst of work.


The view from our toilet is looking pretty special at the moment. That's G to the left, burning perspex in the barbeque, for safety research purposes of course. The perspex is for the windows of the dolls house he's renovating. More to come on that subject later. I'm off to an auction in a bit, just for research purposes also, the house isn't in the area we're looking at but it's the same kind of house with a very flash reno and they're asking big bucks for it. So I'm going for a sticky.

5 comments:

  1. I love the look of your garden. There is so much depth - layers of foliage,flowers,vines, pots...I would really like that at our place. We have far too much lawn but I'm keen to extend our succulent beds. Good time of the year for rolling the sleeves up I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my garden is a mess of dried brown which needs to be cleared away now that the snow has melted so as to make way for the green and the plantings : )
    your garden makes me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden's looking beautiful. It is huge to have your child turn three, I reckon. Maybe the first three years go really really slow and really really fast at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden's looking beautiful. It is huge to have your child child turn three, I reckon. Maybe the first three years go really really slow and really really fast at the same time.

    ReplyDelete