I am a cockroach



SpcThe other day I was cleaning out my basket of scarves and hats in preparation for the cold weather and a giant cockroach scuttled forth. It was the biggest cockroach I have ever seen, bigger than in the tropics even. Perhaps it was even another type of insect. I wasn't sure, so I let it crawl onto a piece of paper and relocated it into the garden which is where I'd like the insects to live. Another evening we had friends around to a barbeque with damp wood (the blokes organised that one), the food was slow to cook and there was much debate and beer drinking. One of the older children started walking around with Grace's dolls stroller on her head, waving her arms around like a big alien insect, it was an absolute crack up.

And yesterday I spent some time in the back yard, on a glorious sunny autumn day, one of the best Melbourne could offer, perfection so perfect that you wish you could it bottle for winter, also with a dolls stroller on my head. Pretending to be a cockroach. Despite the aforesaid perfection, I did think about Kafka and about the man who when he awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous vermin. To be honest, I can't remember whether I've read the book, or somehow absorbed it through some cultural osmotic process. But even the dreary thought of waking up as a cockroach could do nothing to diminsh the glory of yesterday. It was definitely the sort of day you could get away with wearing a dolls stroller on your head, with sunglasses of course.

The night before I had no idea, no idea whatsoever to post for the April SPC theme of the absurd. I was googling, searching for absurd art, anything really, but nothing. Unlike with the political theme, which I missed due to holidays and computers and the general ordinariness and busyness of my life. Then I asked G what I should do for the absurd theme and he reminded me of Stella's antics. And told me that I was over thinking. Well, der. I am a cockroach, after all.

See more absurdity here.

10 comments:

  1. brilliant. and you are a kind soul to relocate the cockroach to the garden. i tend to relocate them to the bottom of a shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not always so nice to insects. The little cockroachs have been known to feel the wrath of a spray can from my hands etc And as for ants, well....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing the movie...seems like another lifetime ago. Your photo is awesomely absurd. I'm not very kind to cockroaches either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One helluva great photo.
    I am an insect relocator from way back. Out to the garden they go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interpretation of the theme this month. It seems to be bringing out fun images from all of us. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this!! you are so brilliant though cockroaches freak me out, lol ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urk, another piece of climate change evidence. We've got one of those sonic things and amazingly it seems to keep the cockroaches, mice and rats away thus far. Not the giant hairy spiders though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like making and wearing a t-shirt with "Janet is my Idol" on it..
    Dont you hate those freaky, stalkerish types ?
    I'm ok.
    Really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We get them too,nice of you to relocate, I tend to guiltily stomp. I loved the book,I transformed into a bug very early on in life, so I think i can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. About henna. I used it for years and had stunning red hair. A new age hippy friend -ex hairdresser and frequent traveller to India - gave me the following advice. Mix dark red henna with rose hip tea, black coffee and fresh beetroot juice for uber wonderful result. You can adjust the aount of extras for either a brighter or darker result.
    You can't switch from henna to chemical colours without growing the henna out first - or having it stripped out which damages hair and is expensive.
    Red henna will not cover grey effectively; pink will be the outcome. You need to leave the henna on for at least 4 hours. I suggest dark brown henna mixed with the above for highlights. The Whole Earth Shop in Smith Street Collingwood sold the best henna (organic) 5 years ago. You have to avoid henna with a lot of minerals in it as they reduce the depth of colour. I am a natural silver white; the only time in my life when people have envied my hair.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete