far away in time

I'm cooking lunch (it's cool enough to use the stove today), listening to the radio. It's rather good, they're playing a lot of eighties and early nineties music. Stuff I knew and loved. Like Man Overboard by Do-Re-Mi, some Funboy Three and Joey by Concrete Blonde. I'm digging it and grooving along gently. Then she plays Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins and instantly I'm twenty again, sitting on the floor of my boyfriend's bedroom as he plays me music. He's a bit older than me and has been out in the world longer. He has lots of records. We're a bit high, no actually we're quite stoned and giggly. He plays me Echo Beach. I've never heard it before and I make him play it again and again. Later when we break up, I buy the record for myself.

So now I'm forty-four. For a moment I forgot how sensible I've become and turned up the music up and danced and sang out loud. Smiling. I still remember all the words. And what's more, it has survived the various vinyl purges (you mean I gave the Triffids record with the green, red and white cover to the opshop! yep) and I still have it on vinyl.


I know it's out of fashion
And a trifle uncool
But I can't help it
I'm a romantic fool
It's a habit of mine
To watch the sun go down
On Echo beach, I watch the sun go down

From nine till five I have to spend my time at work
The job is very boring, I'm an office clerk
The only thing that helps pass the time away
Is knowing I'll be back at Echo Beach some day

On a silent summer evening
The sky's alive with light
Building in the distance
Surrealistic sight
On Echo Beach
Waves make the only sound
On Echo Beach
There's not a soul around

From nine till five I have to spend my time at work
The job is very boring, I'm an office clerk
The only thing that helps pass the time away
Is knowing I'll be back at Echo Beach some day

Echo Beach
Far away in time
Echo Beach
Far away in time<br</br

Mark Gane, from Metro Music by Martha and the Muffins 1980.

And now I've just learnt how to embed youtube so we can listen to it live.







Oh wow, now Martha and the Muffins have done children's music amongst other things. Must investigate further.

8 comments:

  1. Oh yeah. You can't not like that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep -- that one brings back a lot of memories!! I heard a song like that on the radio a couple of days ago and it sent me dancing around the kitchen like an utter fool. (I think it might have been ELO, "Don't Bring Me Down.")

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know the best bit?
    When your kids get old enough to go back and investigate the 'old' music in your cd collection and ipod, and then they get into it too. My 16 year old has discovered the wonderful world of music, and he's getting into The Beatles, the Stones, all the old blues stuff, the 60's stuff.... it's fantastic. We're making new connections all the time.
    He still listens to a lot of modern crap, though. (But to be fair, I never would've come across The Cat Empire if it wasn't for him. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh telfair !
    reminds me of NYE, when I stumbled over to RAGE at about 1am and was ready for bed. ELO's "Wild West Hero" was playing, and I sang with all my heart, back in my parent's lounge room, while they had a fondue party in the next room.
    I sometimes think i'm alone in my love of ELO....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little catch in her voice when she says 'office clErk'. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post made me both laugh and be nostalgic - I'm the same age as you and remember Echo Beach from teenage parties. My ipod playlists are irredemably fixed in the late 1970s and 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it funny how music can trigger memories like that? There are some songs where I can see the book I was reading or feel the chair I was sitting in ... Love 80's music:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm never heard of Martha and the Muffins. It's awesome. Now I want more! I've been having troubling figuring out how to embed youtube in typepad, too. If you have any tips, I'd be much obliged.
    Love the new doily avatar. It feels very light and summery.

    ReplyDelete