last night I nearly cried (in a good way)

We voted early, at the local primary school. Grace found the whole process fascinating; waited patiently in line with us and then sat up on the cardboard booth as I filled out my Senate ticket, the long way. Then she helped me put my ballot papers in the box. Election, in box, she told me later. The day went on and I was busy and didn't give it much thought until about six thirty, as I started making dinner. We started listening to the election early. And come to think of it, I had been a bit tense about it. The thought of another Howard term being far too much to bear. I think it would have me loose faith in this country completely. Anyway, the first news was tentatively positive and I cracked open a cruiser from the other night. As the news from the tally room got better and better, you could hear mini celebrations across the suburb.

At one point after dinner I was on the internet and listening to the radio, ready to dash into the loungroom should anything good happen... Oooh the excitement, especially when it started to look as though Bennelong might fall (and now it looks like it has, go Maxine McKew! even the postal votes aren't going to change anything now). How good is that? Not only have the liberals lost government, but the toxic dwarf has been toppled from his seat. Heh, heh. I must admit I felt grimly satisfied as I watched John Howard concede defeat. Listening to Kevin Rudd's victory speech I felt optimistic yet a tad bored. He does go on a bit. Still. It's not everyday you become Prime Minister. Let's hope he doesn't stuff it up. That they don't stuff it up, that we don't stuff it up.

But for me, I think the really big joy of the night, apart from the ALP victory, was listening to Julia Gillard. She's smart, she's articulate, she doesn't um and err. She comes across as tough, and as G says she plays the ball and not the man. She'll be able to run with the bully boys in the party room. As a woman, I find her enormously appealing; a woman's woman. And she's now up there at the top, maybe with a shot at being Prime Minister one day. Hopefully she'll be able to unleash the pinko within. It also occurs to me that there may be lots of new women entering parliament. Some I may not have heard about yet. Oh gosh I hope there are some more good, smart ones.

So here's to a new chapter in our country's history, hopefully one characterised by more care and kindness. A moment of optimism, if you will.  It has to be better than the last decade. Doesn't it?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Janet,
    I have been watching with interest over here in the UK-the mentioned Miss Julia in the papers this morning as having been born in Wales! just down the road from me.
    I am so sorry I wasnt there for this one ..looking forward to being back in Aus with a Labour gov Whoo Hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. Please let's not stuff it up! Though it looks like positive ramifications of the victory are already beginning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was texting everybody I know, with How Good Does it FEEL??
    Fingers crossed for no stuffing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you for daring to talk about the election on your blog....lots of Aussie bloggers seem too scared to post about it.
    A friend emailed me yesterday and said it feels like we're living a new, kinder country. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear hear for Julia. I love that she didn't gloat, didn't pontificate, didn't do anything except tell it like it was. Oh my, the idea that someone might be running the country one day who actually just wants to , er, run the country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your assessment of Julia's performance on election night - and I truly hope the media will give her a fair run now. We all know the extra arrows female pollies have to deal with and goodness knows Julia has already copped a fair of those. Empty fruitbowl, anybody?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray hooray hooray. I felt sick with excitement watching the vote count, on ABC it actually looked like grim news for the first hour or so, I was really getting quite distressed, even with the Eden-Monaro exit polls. But at some point when I was kid wrangling everything changed. Watching Maxine's cheeky wave at the end of her speech was one of the high points of my life as a voter (the other was voting Bob Brown in).
    Suffer suffer suffer Johnny. And I'm glad to see the back of Petey 'I'm going to take my bat and ball and go home' Costello too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, it will be better, I am sure. But 'optimistic yet a tad bored' could well be the phrase that sums up the next part of our political history. Still, that's better than 'getting an ulcer from angst and hate'.
    Hear, hear on Julia. Imagine if, one day, we had Julia/Maxine as the dynamic duo at the top. Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto everything you wrote! I'm still on a high and hope to be for several weeks yet - we deserve it, even if Rudd is boring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughed at your reaction to K-rudd's speech! He does go on a bit. We were all a bit subdued round our way, stunned like. Had to keep checking with each other. He really has lost his seat, so we've definitely won, then? etc.
    I'm so overjoyed about Julia Gillard that I'm kind of bursting with pride and girl-crush for her. Wasn't she just radiant at the end of the night? ( As compared to Minchin who by that stage was so slumped in his seat). I want to hold her up to all the young girls and say you can aspire to this too!
    It is so good to know the poison-dwarf is gone! So good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. woohoo, so exciting! and yes, Julia is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I adore Gillard, adore her, she is the saviour of Federal politics. And I liked your photo with Rudd grinning over your breakfast. Happy days, cautiously, but happy days.

    ReplyDelete