blue and green



SpcThe other day I made a new skirt from an old one I bought from Savers last year. I rather liked the eighties material and had planned on just easing out the waist a bit. Trouble is, circular skirts with gathered waists make larger ladies look even more like sacks of potatoes. My first remake, which involved fitting a new waist band and redoing the pleats, didn't work. Then I remembered a pattern my sister Betty uses alot. It's basically a bias cut at the back which comes to the side front then has a straight panel centre front. Sits a bit like an a-line skirt. So I took a deep breath, channelled Molly Ringwald (the scene in Pretty in Pink where she remakes the prom dress -  although I think she wrecks it) and got out the scissors. The pop buttons down the front went, as did the pleats and the original hem. I had to join a piece for the front panel and then just went crazy with squares wrong way and right way up. Enjoying the way the light fell on them.  I attached a loop of ribbon (saved from t-shirts that always have this useless bit of ribbon in the shoulder seam) to the waist from which to hang my ID tag in case I wear it to work. Which I think I will, perhaps with something blue. Because I love blue and green together. Especially in summer.

It's a bit hard to see, but Grace is wearing sandals. We've finally found some shoes she'll wear and it makes such a difference. I'm wearing my stinky birks, which I'm going to wash before I go back to work and some comfy trousers my sister Betty made for me year before last. With a chainstore t-shirt which I think is a bit low cut in the neck. The scarf to hold back my hair is in favour again, especially when sewing or cooking. I'm on a bit of a wardrobe improvement binge at the moment, sewing, shopping, fixing and sorting out. The last bit of hot weather saw me scraping for acceptable work outfits, but given my current state of mind, I'm aware that I could be being a bit neurotic about it all. Especially given the slack dress standard at work. Ah well. Nonetheless, I am pretty pleased with how this skirt turned out.

Peek through other wardrobes here.

p.s. I did change the photo this morning. Just matched the words better I think. Old one here

7 comments:

  1. I love this skirt! It's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent skirt! Lovely photo (I like the other, more pensive one, too).You've inspired me to get to and finish sewing some stuff for me to wear this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She so wrecks the prom dress. But your skirt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the skirt, the colors match so well together. I hope that you are starting to relax a bit more too, as I know what having anxiety is like, and panic attacks too which can be overwhelming. I hope the week of rest is helping you with everything you have been going through recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your skirt and I really like your blog - you're clearly a clever lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you tweak the words and change photos occasionally. Double value blogging!
    I like both photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a note to say I really enjoy your blog.
    I can't believe you work/are a mother/blogger/sewer/photographer.... and are also house hunting! Most bloggers seem to do one or two things at most, but you do it all plus hold down a paid job, so I raise my hat to you. And I hope you keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete