Steve

Our friend Steve passed away on Tuesday night. We knew he was sick, but we thought he'd be around for a while longer. Long enough for a few more conversations about art and music and life, long enough for a few more afternoon parties with kids romping around, with food and wine; all the important things.

Steve, your departure feels quite sudden and shocking, a reminder that death is absolute, no matter how forewarned you are. People might say, and with kindness in their hearts, that with an illness like cancer, it's a blessing that you didn't linger at the end. But I know that you would have liked to have been around for a bit longer. You still had plans. And a wicked sense of humour.




You and Gerard go way, way back, to a life in Tasmania I only know about from stories. Even so, we had our own conversations. Something to be cherished with a friend of your partners. I'm doing my best with the tasks we talked about, although I worry that the bakery won't get the shade of pink you asked for on your cake: the palest of pink, you said, a lustre rather than a colour.

I hope it's a drummer's heaven on the other side, full of interesting people to talk to. And music. Lots of music, especially the weird stuff. 

15 comments:

  1. Shit, Janet.
    He sounded interesting, and he takes an awesome picture. Kind eyes.
    Keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your loss Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely portrait, I'm sorry you've lost such a good friend, full of life and character. Sounds like his presence will be terribly missed. Thank you for sharing this here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jees, looks like he was a top bloke. Sorry you lost him Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you get the cake just right.
    Beautiful photo, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs to your family. So sorry to hear about your friend, and even though you know that they dont have as much time as you would like, it is still very hard to take losing them. I hope there is a better place for us all to continue on in after this life, and I am sure he is there somewhere smiling down at your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A blog is a great place to express our feelings and keep our friendships alive. Many say that all that separates us from those that have gone ahead is a curtain. They are only in a nearby room which we cannot yet enter. Your remembrance is beautiful and hear-tugging.
    Blessings and bliss to you all - and I hope you have a lustrous gathering.
    Blessings and bliss

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for you and Gerard. And Steve's family.
    That was a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heartfelt condolences on your loss. Steve sounds like he must have been one of those people that made life fun. Lifting you all in prayer.
    Missy
    p.s. the cake sounds gorgeous. I bet it will be just right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely eyes he has.
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My condolences for your loss, dear Janet.
    On this -and the other times you have posted about Steve-, I have always been so taken with the expression in those eyes. Eyes that seem to be sad and smiling all at once. I wish he could have had more time.
    Love,
    Vx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning photo and absolutely lovely tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my condolences. maybe adding some brighter pink flowers around will make the cake look a little paler... good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. a lustre rather than a colour...he sounds very, very special. I am sorry for you loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. he looks and sounds very special ... my thoughts and heart go out to you for your loss, warm hugs!

    ReplyDelete