bathtime



SpcA new month, a new theme. September is about bathrooms. This will be the third self-portrait I've taken in our small and not very flash bathroom (one here and one here). Although I must say, it is a lot nicer since G put in the shelf and the little cabinet and I made a new shower curtain from seventies material from the opshop (it's Sheridan, I have a pillow case in the same design but orange and white). Maybe I'll explore other bathroom settings, like perhaps the one at work. If I can get over my fear of someone finding me taking my picture there.

I don't know if you can tell, because I look as tired as I feel, but this is one of the nicest parts of my working day. If I get home lateish, G gives Grace her dinner while I get changed and have a little time to myself and then we all hang out in the kitchen for a while. Then I give Grace her bath. As you can see, it's not particularly onerous. Once teeth and face are done, we have a chat, count bath toys and then Grace washes dollies hair. Dolly always gets soap in her eyes and cries, heh heh heh. Sometimes there's a moment when seven o'clock rolls around and it's time to get out of the bath, but we're moving to an understanding that if she gets out of the bath herself there's one two, three, whizzy (a jump off the side of the bath with mummy holding her hands). Getting dressed is OK as long as Grace is allowed to do most of it herself. Including choosing a nappy and getting it ready for putting on (thankfully she has at last accepted that she can't put a nappy on herself). If I try and do anything that she can do herself, it's an almighty battle. That can last until bedtime. Surprisingly, bedtime is not a battle. Tonight at seven thirty, I asked Grace what time is it? and she replied, bedtime. Got off my knee and went to kiss Daddy. Five minutes later she was tucked in with seven of her favourite toys and off to the land of nod.

Lots more bathrooms here

17 comments:

  1. Man, I wish I had your child! ;) Maybe it's because I have a boy...but bath time is never quite that simple! I love the shot...it does express tiredness...but calm and the end of the day also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet. I enjoy bathtime too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmmm .. i miss the bathtime routine ~ now he just hogs the shower in the morning, lol ...
    very sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh now that's the answer you were looking for :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing at the image in my head of you taking a photo of the work bathroom and getting caught. You just KNOW it's going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave Fixit the job of bath attendant in the division of parental roles. But now that I work 3 evenings a week, the boys really, really love it when I do it.
    Your shower curtain is very fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bedtime?!
    That kid is an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Menfolk who make shower curtains are pretty damn impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no, G made the shelf and fixed the cabinet, I made the shower curtain... was writing and (not) editing in a rush....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your bathroom. Lovely post Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. luv that shower curtain
    just found some tiles similar in colour with a swirly round motif, that might go in our new bathroom
    how do you get a kid that puts herself to bed? miraculous

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this shot. My son has sadly outgrown needing me to sit beside the tub. I had great fun playing with all his toys and learning about his world. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lovely photo I reckon your daughter will treasure one day. Your bathroom looks nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this pic, and your bathroom looks fine ( but I suspect before the shlf and cabinet .. yeah .. not so fine )
    I hate bathtime. Our bathroom is so damn cold in winter, and I used to resent having to bathe in a cold bathroom in the winters of MY childhood .. so .. not a ritual here.
    If he gets especially grotty, we may have a midday bathe instead. Odd, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this picture. I can imagine it in a lovely frame on your daughter's bookshelves, many decades from now.
    Hope you're feeling better (was just reading your snotfest posts).

    ReplyDelete