our very ugly carpet



SpcThe August theme for SPC is pattern. And the first pattern I think of is not a pretty one. Indeed, I have often gone out of the way to exclude the carpet in our house from any pictures of domestic life. Really, I'd like to pretend that it's not there. In the eighteen or so years I have lived in this house, I have always disliked the carpet. Quite intensely at times.  It was crappy when I moved in and it hasn't improved any. We have some big rugs, but there are always little pieces that are impossible to cover. Like this particularly grotty patch in the hallway near the kitchen. For effect, I am modelling my none too clean dressing gown and my ugg boots which, despite their scruffy appearance, have just been washed and fitted with new sheepskin liners. 

The lino in front is also really old, but I actually don't hate it. In some moods, I'm really rather fond of it. Perhaps because it's cleanable? When I was pregnant with Grace, I spent the first week of my maternity leave with a friends steam cleaner. Systematically going through each room. Although I removed heaps of gunk, it never seemed to look any cleaner. Now we just vacuum every week and I try not to make it my visual focus. Besides, we're looking for our own place now. And when it's our house, I'll be able to rip up the carpet. Can't wait....

See other, prettier patterns here

11 comments:

  1. :) it looks like my tortoise shell cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to check out your post when I saw the title! I, too, have lived in some homes with quite hideous carpet, so I can totally relate :) Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the different textures and colors in this photo! The blockiness (can I make up words on your blog?) really adds the feeling you have toward the carpet, too...the way it breaks the flow, makes it discordant to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I know carpet just like that and that photo really took me back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's compulsory for rental houses to have awful carpets. I do the same thing with photos of our home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell me they're not animal print uggs,
    or I think I might DIE of envy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really really really good not having carpet in any rooms except the bedrooms. So much less stress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun all that rippin' but whose gunna pull out all those little tacks?

    ReplyDelete
  9. it was the best thing about finally buying our own house, before we even moved in, we ripped up the horrid gold/green carpet to reveal the beautiful maple wood floors :) felt so darn good not to have to live with other people's design ... :)

    ReplyDelete