The 'putie wrap is finished

Sort of. I learned a very valuable lesson with this project. And it's this; work your ends in as you go. All of them, without fail. That way when you crochet the next row, you anchor the ends in and they stay in. That's what Kay (my mum) said as I tried to work in some strands that had come loose for about the fifth time. And don't cut them off so short, she added. Not to worry, it's done. Even if it will need some ongoing attention.

In case you hadn't guessed, it's a wrap to wear while I'm on the computer and it's cold. In fact I'm wearing it now and I'm feeling rather cosy. The cat likes to sleep on it too. Yes, that's my computer and my side of the study. I haven't changed my screen saver since last time I took a picture in here.



It took a little longer to make than I originally thought, because after I'd pieced it all together and done at least five rows of edging, I decided that it really wasn't big enough to be truly snugly. So I pulled the edging out, re-jigged the squares, made a few more and then re-edged it. I'm glad I did, because as G says once it's finished, you don't think about the extra work it took to get it right. Whereas if it really isn't what you wanted, you would think about that all the time.

The wool is from my oddment pile, which I think might have come from Kay a couple of winters ago when I was going through a hat making phase. It ranges from four ply to eight ply so it's a bit bumpy in places. At one stage I thought I would buy some wool for the joining and edging but that seemed against the spirit of the project, so I used what I had. And as I'm hoping we'll be getting a mortgage later this year, I'm being fairly tight. Not so tight that I'd give up broadband internet but I'm trying not to buy stuff I don't need. It's possible that I could crochet from my Mum's stash for many, many years to come but I do think that one day I'd like to make a rug in planned colours. Next year maybe. I think I have enough projects to keep me going until spring.

10 comments:

  1. Cool pic, cool wrap .. and I love your carpet/rug.
    Just googled Brownie Downing on images and a lot came up on Ebay. Yuk. I think you did the right thing purging her from your house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful!! looks so cosy and warm:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought myself a crochet hook, it's a start at least! Lovely corner, lovely rug and lovely wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stunning colours.You worked so fast to get it finished, I'm in awa. Yes, I'd read the tip on weaving in the edges on one of the other craft blogs (thank goodness!) Did you bother blocking it in the end? I wonder if it makes all that much difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't blocked it yet and I realised that's what I sort of did with the pram rug when I washed it and dried it flat. When we get some sunny weather on a weekend I'll do it for this one too. That'll stop the edges curling?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well obviously we couldn't give up the braodband!! Goes without saying.
    The wrap is great, I too have a crochet rug for warmth in the cold, cold computer room, it is the one my Mum made for the Cherub's cot blanket and it needed a new job when he graduated from the cot as it is too beautiful to ever give away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful thing to make from scraps. I've a blanket my Nanna crocheted from bits and pieces and it's not as coherent as yours.
    By the by, I've also tagged you for an 8 things meme. It seems so presumptious, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living out vocarious (vicarious?) crochet dreams through the blogs of others - I am very pleased to see it finished, and to know of it's use, and to see your gorgeous study. And happy to hear that your mum has enough wool to keep you busy for lots more projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a putie wrap? cool name
    cosy looking rug

    ReplyDelete