rainy night



SpcI heard on the news last night that this winter is the coldest we've had in seven years. I think it's the wettest in a while too. So much so, that I pretty much take my green raincoat with me every time I go out. It has become my default coat. And I'm really doing my best not to complain because we need the rain. Also in the news, Melbourne's water storages have increased by 2%. A fraction of what we need, but it's good to see the numbers go up for a change.

The July self-portrait challenge is all about the elements; air, fire, earth and water. We're meant to pick one. I'm not sure how I'll go with that, but I guess water is the element I'm most drawn to. Being a scorpio and having a scorpio partner means it gets very watery around here. When it's good, it's like a tropical waterfall on a lovely day with butterflies in the air. At it's worst it's like being deep underwater. Cold, with lots of currents and hidden meaning. Speaking is difficult, but one can see the other gesturing frantically as they sink or rise to the surface. All you can hear are bubbles and nothing much makes sense. Not that I really believe in astrology. Still, I guess from here I could talk about the raincoat keeping me dry, allowing safe (if imperfect) passage through the rain which we need. But I think I won't. Who knows where that would lead?

In any case, this afternoon G flew north for a much needed holiday. Just a week. I miss him already and although Grace keeps saying daddy home, daddy home, she seems to be coping. She's used to one or other of us not being around for little chunks of time (and I did have that craft weekend). Here's hoping we find our way back to the nice, pleasant, warm water.

Take a dip in one or more of the elements here.

 

11 comments:

  1. It felt darned cold too! And still does at 6.30 this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a beautiful self portrait, dynamic and passionate like a scorpio i would say :)
    it has been super hot here but we got some relief with the rain the past couple of days though still hot and humid ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the rain: at church on Sunday part of the church prayer went "Thank you for the rain we've been praying for, even though it was in the wrong places, but I guess we'll leave that up to you, Lord". Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a water sign person myself, I love your description of the light and dark sides of it.
    Very cool photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a particularly good photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo. And I must say, I'm really enjoying the cold this year. It's woken me up.
    Great analogy about the water and your relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes...and I was going to say something about how funny I think it is that you have "eight, eight, I forgot what eight was for..." up there at the top of your blog. That song is always popping up in the oddest places for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this photo is fantastic. so cool! i will send you some of our warm, warm sun today...
    your description of how water affects your relationship is poetic really. i found myself nodding in understanding...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look like a mad scientist !
    The light play makes it look ( to me ) like you've got one of those silver domes on your head, hooked up to electrical wires.
    You know the type, from old B&W movies ?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny, both my husband and I are Scorpios too. I didn't know we were water elements (because I'm not into that at all). The only thing I DO know is that neither of us exhibit any of the main Scorpio tendencies at all!
    Glad to see you survived your 'single motherdom'. I like having my husband out of the house for a few days (it doesn't happen often). Gives me a chance to miss him, and I NEVER cook when he's not there. I admire you for making those wonderful-sounding meals.

    ReplyDelete