lunchtime

I've been making a big effort at lunch this week to put on my coat and go for a walk. There's only so many times I can go to the one or two opshops within walking distance, and I'm really trying to stay away from places that sell sweet, starchy things, so I've been picking a direction and walking. Yesterday I ate my pumpernickel, cheese and tomato sandwich on a bridge looking over towards the city. I stayed a bit longer than I should have and had to powerwalk back to work. As it was all uphill, I puffed and sweated. Charming for my colleagues and clients in the afternoon, I'm sure. But oh so good for me.



I think I might have lunch there again next week. On the way to the river, I discovered a new walking path and some mosaics set in concrete. This one grabbed me. There were some cute sheep too, but there wasn't enough light for any sort of focus.



For some reason, I feel a bit nervous walking round at lunch time taking pictures with my very bashed looking point and shoot camera. As though I'm doing something very weird. You would think I'd be used to that by now. Anyway, I will be soon. I've decided to go out for a walk at lunch instead of just sitting in the tea room reading the paper, gossiping or watching oprah. As often as I can. Even if it's only for ten minutes. Even if it's raining. There's a whole new suburb to explore. And maybe more opshops to find?

11 comments:

  1. Just clicked on the 'lunchtime' link and saw your photos on flickr - those 'kaleidescope' photos are so amazing! The sky and the water seem to be exactly the same silvery grey, the effect is incredible, well done. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I feel a bit silly now, I just read the last few blog posts you've written and discovered that those kaleidescope images are actually manipulated ones! Well I love them just the same, in my mind they remain real reflections in a crystal lake...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know those mosaics - that used to be our regular stock, er, bike route.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) i used to go out at lunch with my big ol canon eos a2 and my holga and sometimes just for fun i'd also sling my sony over my shoulder ~ yeah, people looked at me like i was a nutter for sure ;-) i really miss those walks and reading this makes me want to forego the gym in favour of the camera snaps : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melbourne's a great city. Just be thankful you don't have to worry about being arrested whilst taking photo's, sad but true. Your photo of Flinders Street would probably have put me in Guantanamo. Please don't be offended anyone, I'm joking compassionately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamila, I'm not at all offended and I do agree that Melbourne is great. And that we take out freedoms for granted. And that some are probably more free from suspsicion than others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I definitely think getting out for some fresh air and exercise is essential. Helps keep the office blues at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i often take my camera to work for lunchtime photographic forays
    much more stimulating than sitting in the lunchroom reading the paper!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still trying to work out where this is.
    But can't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never used to get a lunchbreak when I worked in an office. A sandwich at your desk with your phone turned off for 30mins was as good as it got. No lunchroom, and nowhere to go, nothing to see.
    Lucky I really liked my colleagues, so it was a good place to work, in that regard.
    Great piccies !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this mosaic. Whoever did it, has got the lope of a dog just right!

    ReplyDelete