another visit

We went to have another look at the tumbly down house. I still loved it and it was still kind of terrible. Perhaps it's because I like the idea of making a sad house into a home again. That's something I'm going to have to lose; we need to think of practical matters, like plumbing and whether it has postwar wiring, and whether the living areas will catch the light. It was good though, G liked it too and the dereliction didn't put him off. Indeed, I think it rather excited him. Although he was very serious about how much he thought the work would cost. And I know that with estimations of time and money, I need to double the money and quadruple the time.




 This time I took photos, but most of them are too sad. It looked there was a woman's touch that stopped somewhere in the sixties, or early seventies. And that from then on not much changed. Including dusting. In the laundry there were piles of socks hanging from a rail. You could see it in the garden too, the remanents of someone's effort and pride. The agent said that the old man's carers were going to come and clean it out, and I wondered why you wouldn't do that before the open for inspections.  The light's wrong in this house, well not unless the floor plan was totally rearranged, so even if we could afford it, this one's not for us. I'm going to have to learn how to detach.

9 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I wish I had your good sense.
    The times we've bought houses I've always felt later we didn't look around for long enough: it's so easy to fall in love too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your attitude, Janet.
    Somewhere out there is a pretty-but-not-too-tumbly down house for you to rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing the right thing. It certainly is demolition only, and I love crap homes !!
    The stumping looks shit ( look at that lean ), and the wiring - I can tell you how much THAT costs !! , plus that wood is rotted. It's bulldoze-city.
    I'll keep looking for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the renewed quest. I hope you find something just right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the right place is out there. That old house grabs me too, but having good orientation makes such a difference to comfort and other things intangible. I'm guessing you need to stay in Melbourne?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i found house hunting so hard because i'd always fall in love with the houses... and it is heart breaking to miss out or to know that it just won't work for whatever reason. i'm so happy in the house we eventually bought but it took us a couple of years to get here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain. We looked for 5 years for our home, starting inner-city and slowly working our way out to the (then) more affordable burbs. It was worth it in the end. I'm sure you'll find what you desire!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a hard project this home getting business. North facing back yard, double fronted, weatherboard, close to public transport and short walk to basic shops ... don't compromise on any of the things you cannot change and everything else is up for grabs was our motto. Been meaning to say - D said he would cast an eye over a house if you are serious and want his view.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we looked at so many houses that were super cute but too small or old and rambling and huge but too much work ... when we found ours, i knew and was jumping up and down before we even got out of the entry ;) you'll find that perfect one ... xox

    ReplyDelete