Under the clocks



LogoOn Saturday morning we went into town with Grace to have a shot at taking some city type street scenes. I've been meaning to try a short excursion with Grace on the tram without the pram for a while now and this was a good excuse. She loved it, especially on the ride home when she made friends with a three year old girl and they had a shrieking match. G and I thought it was quite funny, but once it reached a certain level and the other mother started telling Ebonee to "use your inside voice, or it's time out" we had to put our sensible parent faces back on. I must have been a bit hyped up myself from taking photos and hanging around Flinder Street Station steps.  For those not familiar with Melbourne, the steps of Flinders Street Station, or "under the clocks", is a common and well known meeting place. Except that it is so big and bustly, that you often miss the person you are trying to meet.

It was a lovely sunny day and I quite enjoyed hanging around and watching the kids holding court. A woman in footy gear at the bottom of the steps told me that one of kids had a rat on his shoulder, unfortunately I missed that one. G took the photos that I'm in with Grace, but I took all the rest. I still don't feel like I have one image that says to me, yes this is it. Noetheless, quite a few have bits in them that I like. I've put some of my favourites from the day on flickr. As far as taking pictures in public, this was the least awkward I've felt so far. Perhaps because as well as being Melbourne's favourite meeting place, Flinder's Street is a tourist landmark and there were lots of other people taking pictures.  And I had G there for moral support and kidwrangling.

More streets here.

12 comments:

  1. I don't think i've ever met anyone under the clocks. How pathetic am I ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the photo on the steps is such a cool phot, so much going on. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! I love the diversity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Public photos, that reminded me of some shots I took at Ruapuna raceway in NZ years ago when a gang fight started. I was 17 and had now idea of how much trouble I could get myself in by pointing the camera, luckily a more street wise friend told me to quit it and run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see so many people in the shot with you. Love the shadows, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them. You've really captured some of the energy and culture of the cbd. I love Melbourne's city. I'd live in the cbd if we could afford one of those zillion dollar huge apartments that span a few levels (with a rooftop terrace please). I always come back from a city trip buzzing with energy and ideas wanting to write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the first photo a lot. very nice capture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! I want to know what the two guys on the stairs w/ you are looking at and laughing about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Gosh, I thought I knew where your first pic was taking. I was sure it wasn't under the flinder's street station. But the second one confirm's it.
    Well done with both shots. I love them both. As for meeting someone under the clocks, everytime I'm in Melbourne, We meet people there. I love the clocks and the station.
    Well done again,
    Bug hugs,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been forever since I met someone under the clocks! In my first year in Melbourne that was always the first place that came to mind when a friend asked "Where will we meet?". I used to love people watching there -- so many different people, voices and stories to be seen and heard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's so much going on in this picture! It's great!

    ReplyDelete