Snatch and grab gardening

When I first started this garden, there was nothing I liked better than a whole day with my hands in the soil, by myself or with a quiet fellow gardener. Not coming inside until it was well and truly dark. I'm not the garden fanatic I once was and my days seem so full of other things now. That said, I really miss my time in the garden if I don't have it. And miss having food to pick fresh. So I'm making an effort. Part of this is trying to make the garden more of a joint venture. G is really good at weeding and mowing the grass but I'd like the growing and picking of vegetables to be something he could do, especially once I go back to work full time. In consultation and without fighting. Which is difficult, because apparently I'm really bossy. And so is Grace.


During Saturday morning's garden effort she snatched seeds from my hands, trampled recently planted onions and wrestled the watering can from her dad. Grace is keen though, and I just love seeing her pick one of the remaining beans from vine and eat it, standing in the vegie patch saying yum. Sometimes she picks some silverbeet for lunch, and comes inside saying, bean, bean. Bean meaning food in a general sense. I'm learning that it's important to give her little jobs to do, like helping her to pull out a weed and asking her to put it on the compost. And getting her involved in sprinkling seeds around. We might have a few things come up in odd places but I don't think that matters really.




We've had some rain and weeds and seeds are sprouting all over the place. Lots of self sown cos lettuce, garlic bulblets and onions that I missed over summer, spring flowering annuals like nigella and flanders poppies. We even have a second lot of cosmos flowering. And the sage border is looking rather splendiferous. The soil is looking better than it has for a while and I've been trying to focus our limited gardening efforts to sowing seeds and planting rather than general tidy up. If you don't sow, you don't grow and you don't get is what I've been saying. G agrees with me, in principle, but still finds it hard not to weed the whole garden then plant. This used to be the way I did things, but if your garden time is limited to an hour here and there, and a mosey around when you hang out the washing, then I think planting should be the first thing you do when you have a little chunk of time, not the last.

6 comments:

  1. :) I sowed my seeds on the weekend among other things and my body aches with satisfaction!! this is my first garden and it feels so wonderful to look out at it knowing that there will soon be bits of green yummyness popping out : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear Hear! As long as something edible is in the ground and growing that's the most important thing. You have lovely photos here Janet. New shoots - foreground and background stuff - so interesting. I had a bit of a garden construction weekend with my neighbour. We constructed a patch for some seed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great looking greens there
    i admire people who can grow their own veggies

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've gotta watch them pokey probeys alright but I tells you them weeds are bad news cos' they strangle, choke and use up valuable nutrition. "Kill em' before they grow" to quote Bob Marley or to quote Metallica, "Kill em' all" but what would I know ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet, beautiful photos, as usual. I'm really missing the garden now that I'm back full time at work. It's dark when I leave and dark when I come home so days go by before I set foot in the place. I fully agree that any time is better spent putting things in that taking things out, which is thankless and never ending task.

    ReplyDelete