reflected



LogoThis is a photo I took as I was setting up for something I had in mind last Friday afternoon in town. As you can see, I'm checking the flipout LCD screen of my chunky Canon Powershot. I've grown to love this camera in the last year. It's my dad's old camera and he passed it on to me when I started blogging, along with a scanner. He's been a big supporter of my writing endeavours over the years and I appreciate it more than I can say. Thanks Dad.

This picture was taken on the corner of Bourke and Swanston streets, a busy mid city Melbourne intersection. I wanted to take a picture here the week before last; I passed by and noticed that my reflection in this black glass window was somewhat slimmer than in real life, like in a sideshow mirror. But it was raining and there were lots of people jostling about and I was being hassled by over enthusiastic uni students collecting for charity. Like really hassled, which puts my back up straight away, no matter how worthy the cause might be. However, last Friday was warm and sunny, despite being almost winter. I had just returned some slippers that Grace refused to even try on and was rushing to catch a tram to visit my sister and newborn niece in hospital. This time I just went about my business quickly and calmly, not caring how funny other people might think a middle aged woman in homemade clothes taking her picture in a grotty shop window might be. The pictures I had in mind didn't work out, as is often the case. Not to worry, one thing I've learned from doing SPC is to take a few shots if possible and to see what happens. I ended up quite enjoying this challenge and have loved seeing pictures of everyone in their different streets. There's something good about seeing the physical worlds that people inhabit.  Check it out here.

 

12 comments:

  1. I love the life going on behind!! Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh heh ~ that's totally me, a middle aged woman in homemade clothes taking her portraits in grotty shop windows, lol ...
    what an adorable shot of you ~ those glasses seriously rock ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sunglasses :) And seeing YOU of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- you got great colors and clarity in that tinted glass. Wonderful background. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot of you, Janet.
    Tres funky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that pic is way cool. dunno what you were going for, but I think you got it, anyway.
    Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo. Those glasses are awesome. The photo makes me think of an actress trying for anonymity, and just going about her day persuing a hobby she enjoys. So much narrative in a hastily grabbed shot. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is brilliant!
    and i looove your knitted shawl-ey thing. did you make it yourself?
    i've really enjoyed all of your entries this month :)
    Vx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. It feels like a still from a 60's French film.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great photo. love that busy street background. and your big sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooooooooh I once had the Canon Powershot with the flipout screen. Absolutely loved it for its sneakiness. Got into the habit of taking all my photos at hip-height when no one was looking. Someone stole it and we then replaced it with a digital SLR (which by then cost as little....or as much.... as the Powershot had originally cost us)Was months before I got over not being able to take photos at hip height.;-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the action behind, and the gaze of the photographer... nice shot!

    ReplyDelete