My eyes are full of the ocean

I'm trying to hold in my mind everything from our time at the beach this morning. I packed and started the clean while G took Grace to the park. Then while he did the big clean, I took Grace to the beach. For one last time. This holiday anyway. We went light, no bathers just a towell. Grace climbed into the stroller herself saying, beach, beach. As we topped the foreshore hill, there was barely a breeze. Wind being one of the defining factors here. Win. Another new word for Grace. It was glorious on the beach this morning. Warm but not burny, the surf rolling in and crashing neatly and predictably. The tide was out but coming in, I think. It looked perfect for boogie boarding, but we hadn't bought the board or indeed another person to hang with Grace. Oh well. You can't have everything complety perfect all the time.

There was a long beach of shining sand reflecting a puffy little cloud and Grace running towards the water. There was a man and his little girl playing at the edge, his bright red shorts looking amazing against the blue of the sea and the sky. Grace was very excited to see another bubby but they were just about to leave. So we ran into the waves, up to Graces waist. She held my hand or wrapped herself around my legs, shreiking with delight as the waves crashed around her and then receded, the fine sand sucking under our feet. Then she ran aroung in the gleaming shallows, each drop of water falling in a sparkle. I wish I could have sneaked a couple of photos of this so I could see it forever but salt water, sand, cameras and energetic toddlers are not a good mix. And I'd rather have the moment anyway. So I'll show you a couple of photos from the beach, taken on other days and you can kind of get the idea.





To be honest, these pictures don't do this morning justice. Same beach, different light. Different every day, which is quite exciting really. I love this beach. It is so part of my memory of childhood, of holidays. Returning this time was a homecoming of sorts.

I've been trying to hold it all in my mind but already these images are being overwritten by the journey home, opshopping, bad takeaway and the smell of Melbourne traffic. I've more or less unpacked and am waiting for all my photos to download. And for pizza (well, I was but that's done and packed away). Tommorrow looks like being a big day of many loads of washing, and shopping, and catching up and getting my house in order. No doubt I will go on about our holiday a bit more. At least until the re-entry to home world is complete and it's like we were never gone. 

11 comments:

  1. :) wow, those photos are so beautiful ... it sounds like you had an amazing time, wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds beautiful, heavenly, bliss. But it felt like you were gone for such a long time, and I've missed your posts, so it's nice to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you're back! The beach looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little One's tiny tracks out to the water are priceless. These are beautiful shots. Looks like Hinchinbrook in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like you were gone a long time. Hope it felt like that for you, too. I love the second photo.
    Now you're back I'll post my letter post soon. I didn't want to do it while you were on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back. You were missed.
    Looks like the Prom in the background. Waratah Bay, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like Walkerville, Waratah Bay to me. That was a close second when we were looking for our seachange destination. But there is not as much income earning infrastructure there, so Gippsland Lakes won.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dream holiday! Beautiful photos - the one of Grace walking toward the water is absolutely beautiful.
    Know what you mean by the return to "the smell of traffic" - you know the holiday is over then :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suse and Kel, you're both pretty close. It's Sandy Point which is on Waratah bay, and yes that's the prom in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back.
    Your writing is pure imagery.
    Not many blogs I can say I like the writing as much as I like the pics..

    ReplyDelete