B B B Bag

Ever since I did that meme, my head has been filled with Bs. And I never mentioned bags, which are a bloody big thing in our house. Grace is seriously into bags which she fills and unfills. She often has one hanging from her neck, while pushing her shopping trolley full of stuff up and down the garden. I quite like a bag myself, especially old bags from the oppy, even if they're not very practical. But my favourite is the scrabble bag, and I thought I might share a couple of pictures.

I've had this bag for a long, long time and don't even remember seeing it in the opshop or the thrill of the purchase. It's one of those possessions that I've come to love over time and if I remember rightly, it was pressed into service as a scrabble bag pretty early on and seems purpose made for that function. It has a loop closure that closes very firmly and the bobbles on the end of the cord are beautifully worked. There are some minor rough edges in the construction, but it was obviously made with skill and care. Having a use makes me enjoy the beauty and design of the bag even more, I think.

7 comments:

  1. Now this is some find. It's cotton, yes? It deserves to be taken out for a drive. It makes me want to wear a bonnet. I would like a sundress just like it.
    Thanks for your superb blog. Wish I was as crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B! I'm also thinking about books - too much of the time! I always have a little start when I read something in someone's blog about an item I myself have been pondering. Your paragraph on beetroot did it for me this time. I have only recently become aware of how different fresh beetroot is from tinned - sad I know. I've since been having fresh juices with beetroot added and will definitely plant some in the garden. I will remember that they wilt but recover overnight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm procrastinating because I can only think of one R thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the bag might be cotton, but then again it could be rayon. I'm usually very good at telling, but the bag is old and has this patina that makes it difficult.
    Suse, surely there's lots of really good things that begin with R. Ricepudding, ranunculas, rainbows, reality TV, now I'm being rather silly. What about rain, but that's probably what you were already thinking about? I think it's OK to use the dictionary to get started. Or you could have another letter, or relinquish this meme, I really wouldn't be offended in the least....
    And oh yes Nutmeg, homegrown beetroot is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Canadian blogger friend who makes the most amazing bags out of preloved fabric and writes a story to go with them
    this scrabble bag looks so comfy country, it reminds me of my favourite book series as a child, Little House on the Prairie. I bet they played scrabble too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I come from a family where the tiles were kept in an old pasta jar and spread out on the table when we played. The green drawstring bag that came with the new Scrabble set was cause for comment in my parents' home but yours - form and function, style and substance - could well be the subject of discussion for weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the red of the bag matches the red of the scrabble, thats a bonus.

    ReplyDelete