The summer we're having

A while ago I said that I thought we were going to have one of those semi tropical type summers, hot with frequent storms. Already I'm sure that I'm wrong. It's going to be one of those hot, dry summers where the wind from the north east or north west blows hot air from inland regions. When you watch the garden shrivel and dessicate before your eyes. Glad to go to work because there's air conditioning. Afternoons spent at the pool with the child. Bushfire warnings on the radio in the morning advising people living in various areas (some quite near the city) to activate their fire plans. Skies hazy with smoke. News bulletins that make you want to cry. Days when it's just to hot to go outside unless you really have to and you move slowly, always wear a hat, eat icy poles, stick to the furniture and look for a cool spot in the house.

There will also be, I hope: cool changes that rush through the house, cherries, grapes and peaches, balmy nights drinking beer, camping at the beach, dappled shade. Grace and I hung out under the tree this afternoon before it got too hot and windy. I've set up some waterplay and she kept putting her doll in the water. Not sure whether it was to wash her or just to see what would happen. Later in the afternoon it reached 34C (about 93F) with a hot dry wind. This is quite hot for early summer, I think. Normally I cope pretty well until it's over say 38C, but my stress related dental issues are still causing me grief and no-ones had quite enough sleep. So as the day drew to a close, we all got a little tetchy. I'm trying not to think about January and February, with the possibility of days at a stretch in the high 30s and low 40s.

After Grace went to bed, I had a little moment outside with a not quite cold enough beer. It slipped down all too quickly.  It is still  28C (about 82). A cool change is forecast for the early hours.


December's theme for Self Portrait Challenge is red. There's not many of us antipodeans in the challenge at the moment, so I'm expecting to be one of the few exploring red and summer.

5 comments:

  1. Yes for me it is odd (but a nice change) to hear you talk of how hot December is. Interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one comatose without air-conditioning yesterday. All I could do was lie on the couch and doze.
    And still slept like a log last night.
    Damn! it was hot. The studio and upstairs was completely uninhabitable.
    And I think you're right about this Summer. The North Wind is going to rock out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. And I broke a tooth on the weekend. Not pretty. Not pretty at all. And no $$ for the dentist. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it is certainly a change from the cold weather we are having. The heat can be so miserable and suck the life right out of you.
    Great shot that speaks volumes. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MmMmmmmM .. beee-eeeerr..
    They're expecting the worst bushfire season ever this year. This weekend is supposed to burn, and burn bad, burn horrifically ..
    We're not talking about it much here as my mother is living with us, and her brother fights fires in country Vic. We nearly lost him a few years back. Will he make it back this year ? Very scary.

    ReplyDelete