I've had a glass or two of red and I'm going to attempt the gender meme, as seen over at The View from Elsewhere. I found this one quite difficult, two long commutes on the train and some questions still had me perplexed. Maybe because I live in a household where roles are fairly fluid, or things have changed. I don't know, have they?
Three things you do that women usually do
- Sometimes obsess and have moments of guilt and/or fear about whether I am doing the right thing as a mother.
- Shave my legs.
- Crochet while watching TV.
Three things you do that men usually do
- Pretend I'm listening to my partner talking through my favourite TV shown by grunting in the right place, and then act all indignant when I'm caught out.
- Wear the pants.
- Take up space, and put my feet up on the coffee table.
Three things you do that women usually don’t do
- Enjoy getting hot and sweaty doing manual labour in the garden.
- Leave the dishes and toilet cleaning for someone else (knowing they will get done).
- Walk alone at night.
Three things you do that men usually don’t do
- Make family social arrangements. Ensure that everyone attends, has what they need (as in toddler bag, does anyone know a man who packs the toddler bag?) and looks presentable for said social event.
- Know what's in the fridge and cupboard and plans meals accordingly.
- Wear my hair up.
Three things you don’t do that women usually do
- Enjoy shoe or clothes shopping.
- Wear women's shoes (not on any regular basis).
- Take full responsibility for the management of the household, all the time. This does tend to ebb and flow around here depending on who's doing what workwise and how control freakish I'm feeling. But definitely not at the moment.
Three things you don’t do that men usually do
- Moan and feel all wistful about the gap between the footy and cricket season.
- Spend large amounts of time in the shed drinking beer and doing shed things.
- Wear surfwear ensembles. You know the board shorts and loud t-shirt look. Never.
Three things you don’t do that women usually don’t do
- Promote myself well professionally.
- Put off going to the doctor, if necessary.
- Tinker with my car.
Three things you don’t do that men usually don’t do
- Shave my underarms regularly.
- Wear heels or other forms of footwear that render me immobile or uncomfortable.
- Wear makeup.