Garden folly, the middle bit

A few weeks ago, I spent a pleasant couple of hours out in the garden relaxo area making a garden folly. It looked pretty good for a few days. Then we had a hot windy day and it started to come apart. It still looked pretty good. Then I tried to fix it. Not good. Then the wind came back and undid my fixing. Better. Now that I've relaxed about the impermanence of the garden folly, I'm enjoying watching the interplay between the elements and my handiwork. Especially the view from our outside bog.

Every couple of days, I've whizzed around it with the camera, documenting its' demise. I took this one yesterday, in that horrible smoke haze.

Somehow the limpness and the colour given by the sun shining low through the smoke says it all to me. As do the squashed plums on the path. G has already started a sweeping regime. He's good like that. Days of going barefoot in the backyard are off the agenda for a month or so. Even Grace demands to have her shoes put on. The rosellas have arrived, filling the backyard with their raucous chatter and birdpoo missiles. And causing half eaten plums to fall on the heads of unsuspecting step sisters. It will all reach a crescendo in mid January when the plums will start to ferment and the birds go right off their heads. Then there'll be a big clean up and the tree will be tatty but quiet until next year.

It's hard to believe that only a few weeks ago, the garden looked like this. As you can see, the grass is fading but the hot wind hasn't shrivelled everything yet.






A big part of the enjoyment for me has been watching the shadows the folly cast on the concrete path. I like shadows quite a lot and often take pictures of them. These ones have been like a garden slide show, moving in the breeze. Changing form daily.



The whole thing is getting looser and looser. As are we. It's really been too hot some days to do anything else.
What I'm wondering now is how long it will hold on. I'm not going to fix it, or tie it up any more. I'm just going to watch and see what happens. It could be compost by Christmas. Then again we could still have straggles and wisps well into the new year. I don't mind. There has to be something to take my mind off the water stressed garden.
I did spend most of the post cool change afternoon and early evening mulching the garden. This means that I can water some parts of the garden without feeling it's a total waste of time. If, and I know it's a big if, we get some rain this week it might all spring back to life.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lady!
    I stumbled on your blog from... I don't remember where... a couple of weeks ago and I've enjoyed your adventures.
    As a resident of the Northern Hemisphere (Reno,Nevada), it has been a joy to watch Summer unfold in your neck of the woods.
    I love your garden folly (which sent me to google etc. to find out what a garden folly is...) I may have found something to inspire me to work on the overgrown weed patch that is my back yard -- there are various follies floating through my mind -- though I'll most likely have to wait a few months before tackling the behemoth task as the ground is starting to freeze here.
    At any rate, thank you for the bit of green and sunshine!

    ReplyDelete