Don we now our gay apparel, Fa la la la la, fa la la la*

Earlier in the week I had in mind a serious exploration of Christmas, of yuletide stress, of over consumption, of the weight of expectation. All those things, but I've moved on and realised I quite like Christmas. The lead up to Christmas will always be slightly stressful for me, but that's part of what makes it good. The food preparation, gift selection and making, the logistics. I get a bit grimbly about the "magic" of Christmas being women's work but once I let go a little and realise that perfection is not expected or even desirable, it's mostly fun. I like it that my family can all get together despite divorce and re-marriage. I like it that G and I write wish lists and that the house is invariably filled with new music. I like it that there's a present under the tree for each of us from Grace and that we pretend that she chose them (it won't be long). I like it that we'll be having roast chicken and sago plum pudding and even that it may well be raining (that's my Christmas wish afterall). And I love boxing day, eating leftovers and doing a lot of nothing much.

We've decorated the tree and kept it safe from toddler hands for over a week. Grace approaches the tree with obvious mischievous intent, touches the box it's sitting on, looks around and goes Noooo. She's cracking me up at the moment, with her wiping of surfaces and removal of wet nappies. I'm thinking that the concept of opening presents will click with her this year. We've kept her gifts pretty simple, as befits someone who finds a cardboard gift wrapping tube more exiting than a you beaut education toy.
I've been thinking a lot over the last week or two about the sort of Christmas traditions I want to share with Grace as she emerges into Christmas consciousness. There's lots of different ideas I've picked up and mulled over, only to realise that we'll just do it like we always do. A bit organised, a bit last minute. Some making, some frivolous spending, some last minute sewing. I plan to start sewing a bit earlier next year, I always say this, but I think I'd like to entrench a tradition of a new outfit for each member of the family, to be worn on Christmas day. Not that you'd ever know whether to be sewing a sundress or a snowsuit, Melbourne December weather being what it is.

Tonight while I was waiting for the pasta to boil, I made some trashy treats, White Christmas and this fudge. All microwaveable and yummy.  Tomorrow I'll package them up as an adjunct to the official kringle. I have mixed feelings about the kringle, but given the number of steps and outlaws attending, it seems to work. But I quite miss trying to come up with a present for everyone.

Anyways, I'd like to wish all readers, lurkers and people who pop in from google a Merry Christmas (or holiday of your choice). It's been real.  Relax, stay safe and have a good one! See you after Christmas.

*     *      *     *     *

* I've had this carol on my mind all week. It has a more interesting history than I imagined. Sometimes in my head it would morph into the Banana Splits Tra la, la, La la la.. and I'd be flipping from fa la land to tra la land. It's been a long week...

7 comments:

  1. woah, i'm in awe of anyone who might whip up a xmas outfit for each member of the family on their sewing machine!
    but snowsuits or sundresses - hehheh, that made me laugh - especialy since I actually went and bought some new clothes {first time for more than a year) for christmas and now it's so cold I won't be able to wear any of them :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to think of it Kel, I don't think I'd be making clothes for Gerard, just something for me and Grace. (Although my sister Betty makes clothes for her partner, his aesthetic is more accessible for the home sewer) But maybe, just maybe I'd be able to persuade him that a new pair of black jeans would be a good idea and find a new shirt that he might like in savers. We're such scruffnuts that a new set of clothes at Christmas could be quite meaningful..

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ! - The Banana Splits !
    Merry Christmas. Love your pics ( as usual ). Sounds like you've got a good plan for future joy.
    Take care !

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the idea for new handmade clothes each Christmas too. Don't know if i'd ever get organised enough though.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family. I hope you've had a lovely one. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sitting here listening to the rain, and my fingers are cold as I type MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Hope you had a lovely wet day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I suggested the idea of new clothes for Christmas over our Christmas morning muffins, Gerard contorted and writhed in obvious pain. He said it sounded all itchy pants and stiff shirt. So there you go, maybe just something new for me and Grace.
    And what about the weather! We had rain and hail! The garden is soaked. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is nice how the traditions evolve all by themselves, isn't it? I find myself getting new pjs for the kids each christmas (no sewing for me!)
    BTW, I wanted to thank you for your comment on my my blog esteem post - your words meant a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete