Afternoon in town

Today was my afternoon to go shopping in town. My feet are still sore and I'm still reeling from the physic shock that is the city in the week before Christmas. Why is it that there is so much stuff, just so much stuff and yet I can never find what I'm looking for? Target had sold out of both fake baby crocs (with the plum strewn backyard washable shoes seem the go) and nappy covers. And I don't think there is anywhere on this earth that sells plain childrens t-shirts and attractive skirts or dresses in natural fibres for larger women. I couldn't break my wardrobe refashion pledge this afternoon, no matter how hard I tried. The presents were easy enough, fair trade chocolate and cutesy candles for the work Kris Kringle, CDs from a list for Gerard. I'm making Grace's present and I drew my sister Betty in the family Kringle and she wants a big bag of books from the opshop. Which I'm looking forward to doing tommorrow. Opshop time on my own. Oh yes. Loving the list. It's been rearranged a bit, but that's what lists are for.

After I got over freaking out about the crowds, I quite enjoyed my time in town. I had eggplant curry and sticky meat for lunch. Read a magazine (summer edition of Earth Garden), watched the children looking at the Myer windows, looked at bookshops, had coffee at the post office corner and watched the crowds. Gerard convinced me to go to supercheap CDs for his present but I still had to go to JB HiFi in the end. It looked awful but was a cinch, they were so super organised and relaxed enough to engage in chit chat about the CDs I was buying. On the way to the tram home, I was momentarily taken aback by this. As I took the photo, the buildings behind seemed to sway in the breeze. Except that the air was still.

I used to work in a call centre just around the corner from here and would commune with the image on the Republic Tower several times daily. My favourite was Zappo head by Howard Arkley. This one is called Ambassador and is by Mariele Neudecker. I expected that it would be much more imposing than it was. I mean, you could take shocking pictures with it in the background but I'm not sure that in this context it says all that much. Maybe I'd feel differently if I walked past it each day.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent photos, particularly the first which is more than a little confronting.
    My husband works in a call-centre around the corner from there (I wonder if it's the same one) and he hasn't mentioned a word about this to me. I'll have to ask him what he thinks of it -- or maybe I've just figured out why he has been so sombre of an evening when he gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a sort-of good time! I shuddered in sympathy when I read you were going to the city this week. As to plain childrens' t-shirts, Big W have had them in all sorts of colours for around $4 (probably made in China though). I've also bought them in packs of 2 at the bigger Coles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that skull is... interesting. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a day shopping in the city - now that would be fun - but after a year of living in the country, the pace might be a bit of a shock to the system

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny but I find going to the city much less stressful than going to somewhere like Highpoint. I can catch the tram, so there's no parking hassles. And it's not as crowded once you get away from Bourke street.
    It could be the same call centre Kerryn, tax?
    I will try Big W after Christmas. I'm not averse to buying made in China. I just hate that there's so much stuff.. and that yet it still seems hard to get what you want. And I worry of course about sweat shops and over production and just too much stuff in the world... but I still buy bits here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the call centre, Janet.
    I'm catching a tram to Highpoint today -- aargh, why did I wait so long to make a hair appointment? That place, at anytime, is horrendous. At Christmas, well, I'm trying not to think about it.
    I had good luck in Myer the other day, finding natural fibre dresses for the larger lady. I had to sort through a large amount of man-made fibre first, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I sounded SO self-righteous there! Of course I buy Made in China stuff - it's so cheap:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No you didn't... I thought you were implying that i might not buy made in china. Anyway, everyone does, don't they? Or we'd never buy anything...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Target usually has a decent range of plain t-shirts (look in the boy aisles and just avert your eyes until you're past the hideous dragon and skull decorated ones).
    Savers is a good bet too. I had a FABULOUS day at the op shop on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did try Target, but the city one was hopeless. They actually had a lovely range of plain girls t-shirts but they seem to have all sold out like the good stuff often does. Must remember to check the boys stuff. Our Savers is often usless for for kids clothes past the baby baby stage. Too many people looking, I think.
    And Kerryn I did look in Myer and noticed some nice dresses but they were sleeveless. which is OK but I wanted something with short sleeves. Fussy eh?
    Maybe I shouldn't combine Christmas shopping and sensible shopping, it's all too easy to get frazzled.

    ReplyDelete