Third quarter

I have to say that I'm really, really pleased that I've got this far in NaBloPoMo without skipping a day. I'm not fussed that it's patchy, just pleased that I've completed a post everyday. When this is over, I'll enjoy writing some posts that take me several nights to write because I'm struggling to make the words come out how I mean them to. But I like quick too. I like the nightly ritual, even if I haven't been going to bed as early as I should. Which is nothing new.

I'm still only up to S in the great list of participant blogs so I'm trying to resign myself to not viewing them all. Which is a pity in a way. Reviewing, even briefly, all these blogs has given me a lot to think about the nature of blogging. It fascinates me, this idea of quick publishing and microaudiences. And yet a lot of people seem to write as though they're talking to millions. Which they might be. And others write as if no-one at all will read them, as though it is a private journal. Some people take great care with their words and how their page looks and some, very little. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people seem to be running out of things to write about. My experience has been quite the opposite, the more often I write, the more things I can think of to write about. I still haven't had to resort to my list of half baked ideas. In some ways, I'd quite like it if there was a little less in my head. So that I could think deeper about fewer things.

One thing that I've found is that I quickly made a routine with what I write on certain nights. Tuesday is self portrait challenge, Wednesday is NaBloPoMo reflection night, Friday a meme. Throw in something about the garden, or maybe some making or baking and that's at least five days covered already. My life always gravitates towards a routine and I find them deeply comforting. So I don't always see the benefits of trying something new. Grace didn't have a morning nap on account of playgroup today and as a consequence had a monster afternoon sleep. I lay on the couch and read a novel, I can't remember the last time that happened. Could I make that a routine once or twice a week? Even if just for twenty minutes?

I had a whole lot more I wanted to say about blogging as a possible literary form. It was all quite well formed in my head this afternoon as I was planting a succulent border. Now it's gone and I can't stay up really late waiting for it to come back. Work tomorrow. Sigh. Sleep. Must. Yes. OK. Done.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Love your blog-for its 'grounded-ness' cant quite put my finger on it-partially to do with having lived in Coburg for 7yrs probably just down the road from you...seeing the familiar flora and fauna and just recognising the 'atmosphere' of it all.
    I then moved an hour out of Melb for a few years and now find myself in the UK for another few-with many more reasons to need a taste of the familar at the moment as I have only been here for 8wks and feel very homesick.
    Have really enjoyed getting a daily dose.
    Sian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I was thinking along the same lines as you: NaBloPoMo is almost over and I haven't (yet) missed a day. There have been some drive-by postings, but it is sort of fun to force myself to write something every day. Even if it's only a few sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't it feel good to have come so far in NaBloPoMo? I am, however, looking forward to December 1, just for a breather and probably just for a day because this posting every day? Addictive...
    The Randomizer found you very early in the month and as a local, like Sian, I recognised the atmosphere -- the places, the flora, the fauna . It has been a pleasure reading you daily.

    ReplyDelete