The long and winding meme

I nicked this Friday nighter from The View from Elesewhere. I have no brain left after work and am totally incapable of any sort of original thought whatsoever. Spelling and grammar are looking shaky too. But I've told myself I'll post every day and have started a Friday night meme routine, so here goes..

1. When you looked at yourself in the mirror today, what was the first thing you thought?
I think I meet the dress code, but my hair's all wrong. And I'm wearing nearly all black which I've been trying not to do this year. And I'm putting on weight again.
2. How much cash do you have on you?
Fifty bucks and some small change.
3. What's a word that rhymes with “DOOR?”
Floor?
4. Favorite planet?
This one. Boring answer but I'm not the stargazing sort.
5. Who is the 4th person on your missed call list on your mobile phone?
There are no missed calls on my mobile. I ring them, or not. And then delete them.
6. What is your favorite ring tone on your phone?
It's called Discoid. Nothing fancy, just a nokia tone. But Grace keeps finding my phone and somehow changing the ring tone and /or the volume so I never know if it's my phone that's ringing. Not that it rings much, except by pre-arrangement.
7. What shirt are you wearing?
A dusky pink t-shirt from day before yesterday. No point putting on someting clean after work.
8. Do you “label” yourself?
You mean things like fat, useless, slack? No, I try not to. On a more positive note I would call myself a feminist, lefty, greenie type. But not dogmatic, overly correct or particularly rigorous. I remember days of being judged by one's politics and it always felt like yet another type of put down.
9. Name the brand of your shoes you're currently wearing?
I'm wearing my ugg bootees and I've examined them closely for a brand, but they are apparently brandless. I bought them at the Vic market at the start of the winter just gone, and from memory they're Australian made. And they smell.
10. Bright or Dark Room?
Dark room when it's hot, say over 36C. Bright room when it's cold, say under 20C. Otherwise natural light during the day, lamp lighting at night if watching TV.
11. What do you think about the person who took this survey before you?
I like her blog and she seems pretty nice. People who like cats generally are.
12. What does your watch look like?
Black plastic swatch with a fairly scratched face. I've been wearing this model of watch since the eighties, I think.  It's very easy to read and I can't bear to have any sort of metal next to my skin for longer than ten minutes.
13. What were you doing at midnight last night?
Sleeping, tossing and turning. Worrying about tommorow, which was today and actually turned out OK.
14. What did your last text message you received on your cell say?
Happy inbetweeney day, schmay!
15. Where is your nearest 7-11?
Down the road, around the corner. About ten minutes walk. I don't really go there much these days, except sometimes to pick up the paper on Sundays if we've been to Coburg trash'n'treasure and we're having chips for lunch. When I was a smoker, it was a bit of a regular.
16. What's a word that you say a lot?
What? I'm a bit hard of hearing and I live with a mumbler.
17. Who told you he/she loved you last?
Grace, not verbally. But it's pretty obvious in the way she greets me when I come home from work. The toddler whole body lovething. Melt.
18. Last furry thing you touched?
That would be Tony, our black and white cat who is curled up on a mohair blanket on the floor beside my desk. I'm surprised he's not in his usual possie up on sofa bed, half on the arm, half on the cushion.
19. How many drugs have you done in the last three days?
Nothing exciting. Just nurofen and port, but not at the same time. And that would be about the extent of it these days. Although I did get quite excited by the gas when Grace was being born. Especially afterwards while I was being stitched up, and didn't have the contrations to prevent me from long inhalations.
20. How many rolls of film do you need developed?
Just the one that was in my old camera when I got my digital.
21. Favorite age you have been so far?
30 was really good. I had the coolest birthday party. It was 90210 themed, with kind of a drag twist. But my life as a whole is better now at 43 than it's been for ages.
22. Your worst enemy?
Some of the people I've shared houses in the past with may have thought that I was an evil witch. These days I'm my only enemy. But I'm going for a truce, following by a lasting and meaningful peace.
23. What's your current desktop picture?
Stretched euphorbia from my garden. G changes his almost everyday but I keep mine for months and months.
24. What was the last thing you said to someone?
I'm off to do my internetting.
25. If you had to choose between a million bucks or to be able to fly what would it be?
Million bucks, easy. See last Fridays meme.
26. Do you like someone?
Der. What sort of question is that? Of course. I like lots of people. Most people. Even some people who shit me, I quite like. But if we're talking like, like, as in romantic, then I like G. There is no other.
27. The last song you listened to?
One of the songs from Seasons by Dion from a record that G bought from the brotherhood today. Dion wrote Runaround Sue and The Wanderer. This record was released in 1984 and is spiritual, almost folk rock. It was beautiful. I might have to hear this record again tomorrow.
28. What time of day were you born?
My mother says at six in the morning and that she would know. My father says she was fairly out of it and that I was born in the evening. We all agree on the day.
29. What's your favorite number?
Huh? I dunno.
30. Where did you live in 1987?
I think I would have been living with my friend Jane in a terrace house in Fitzroy, just off Brunswick Street. It was unusual as there was a spare block down the side. We had moved from an upstairs decco flat and planned a garden but the landlord, who lived next door, had other ideas. He was planning for his daughter to live there when she married and built a massive veranda over most of what would have been the garden. Living with Jane was like being married, but without the sex. We finished each other's sentences. She even did my washing. We still gardened alot. And had careers in dodgy companies that would go through mass retrenchments once the nineties dawned. And we drank champagne and ate out quite a bit.
31. Are you jealous of anyone?
No, I don't think so. Maybe a teensy little bit of women who are pregnant. I would really like to have another but I think it might be too late. We'll see.
32. Is anyone jealous of you?
Not that I know off. Jealousy is such a waste of energy anyway.
33. Where were you when 9/11 happened?
I was in bed asleep. G came and woke me up before my alarm went off and told me that something really bad had happened. I remember listening to the announcers on RRR doing a similar thing, letting people know before they turned on the news. I watched the news before I went to work. At work (back then, a public service call centre), the phones where eerily quiet and we crammed into the small tea room to watch the coverage unfold. After a while, I couldn't watch anymore and went back to my desk.
34. What do you do when vending machines steal your money?
The only vending machine I use occasionally is the one in the tea room at work. It doesn't give change so people put in what they have and leave the credit for the next person, which is really rather sweet I think.
35. Do you consider yourself kind?
I try to be kind (and real), especially in how I do my work. Which can be difficult. Sometimes I'm a bitch and have to work hard to be a nicer person.
36. If you had to get a tattoo, where would it be?
The inside of my arm, between my wrist and elbow. But I'm not getting a tatt. I think I'm well past that stage of my life.
37. If you could be fluent in any other language, what would it be?
Arabic.
38. Would you move for the person you loved?
Yes.
39. Are you touchy feely?
Only with people I know very, very well. Otherwise I'm quite stiff and awkward.
40. What's your life motto?
I don't have a life motto, or a five year plan, or a terms of reference, or a strategic direction. I do have certain values and things I would like to do but I'm not going to corporatise my life direction. I've tried in the past and it always ends in tears.
41. Name three things that you have on you at all times?
If I'm going out, apart from keys and wallet, I tend to take water, sunglasses and camera. And if Grace is coming too, a bag of toddler necessities. If I'm going out by myself, I might take a book, especially if there may be some waiting. Bonus reading time is savoured.
42. Whats your favorite town/city?
Melbourne. Like I said last week, I'm very tied to this city.
43. What was the last thing you paid for with cash?
I think it might have been lunch on Tuesday. The crunchiest and best fish and chips I've had since the cafe, cherries and apricots for dessert.
44. When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper and mailed it?
Does a job application count? 2003 I think.
45. Can you change the oil on a car?
No. That's why we get the car serviced. I suppose I could learn how to do it if I really, really had to.
46. Your first love: what is the last thing you heard about him/her?
That someone had seen him in a country town near where he is reputed to live. More feral than ever. I don't care any more.
47. How far back do you know about your ancestry?
Great grandparents on each side. Except for my fathers, fathers family which has a family tree thingo going which I could look up if I wanted. But really, great grandparents is enough for me.
48. The last time you dressed fancy, what did you wear and why did you dress fancy?
I don't do fancy. I did adhere to the dress code (neatly and quite sharp, even) for work today, in honour of some visiting dignitaires from overseas. The leadership team have been in a tizz about it all week and it was easy brownie points. Sort of fun in a nerdy sort of way. And my goodness, there were some smashing outfits today. All went well. Apart from that I think the last time I really dressed up may well have been in the mid nineties for my dad's wedding. I wore black pants and a teal blue velvet coat dress which set off my very short red hair. Also smashing.
49. Does anything hurt on your body right now?
Yes, my lower back which was giving me a lot of grief earlier in the week. It's nearly better now, but I've been sitting too long.
50. Have you been burned by love?
Yes. Hasn't everyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment