Friday night meme

I stole this one from Sooz and Suse.
1.Flip to page 18, paragraph 4 - in the book closest to you right now, what does it say?
He shook his head like a totured bear. He recognised in anguish that it was possible.
"It isn't true mother. But if it was - I'd want her."
More than ever, he thought, more than ever, to protect her, to protect his brother, even, the child.
"You'd take left overs? You'd take up where he left off?"
"Yes,  Mother."
From The Sojourner, by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Readers Book Club 1956, which G bought at the opshop the other day because he knows I like old books about rural life. This one also has a rather nice coloured dust jacket which has been ravaged by the small child. G is going to repair it for me as he has a special touch with old books. I will read it one day.
2. If you stretch out your left arm - as far as possible, what are you touching?
Air. But if I look along my hand, I can see the window and Grace's pile of toys and books.
3. What's the last program you watched on tv?
The end of Smallville which I find very samey every week.There is a plot, but it's buried beneath the characters being intensely meaningful, either through long lingering looks, moments or verbal exchanges. Lots of intense life changing moments, like all the time. But G enjoys it. And the beginning of the Hulk which looked kinda interesting. I didn't realised it was directed by Ang Lee who made one of my favourite movies, The Ice Storm. I would have watched it except that I'm doing NaBloPoMo and therefore need complete my daily blog post now if I have any hope of going to bed before midnight. Which I must because I have a very big day tommorrow. sigh. 
4. Without looking, guess what time it is.
Half past ten. Ten 15, close. Better get a wriggle on then.
5. Except the computer, what can you hear right now?
The occasional car. A distant tram. G's computer is very loud. And for some reason is hard to turn off. I could listen to music as G has put nearly everything we own on the computer but I quite like the absence of music at the moment.
6. When was the last time you were outside and what did you do?
About an hour ago. We have an outside toilet. Very old fashioned, but it has a beautiful view of the garden and is really only tedious for about two months of the year, if that.
7. What are you wearing?
Black stretch velvet lounging trousers. Pink t-shirt. Orange jumper. Ugg boots.  Pretty much what I was wearing last Friday night. But no poncho, it's not cold. I like to change into my comfy clothes after work.
8. Did you dream last night? If you did, what about?
I don't think so. Anyway, I can't remember.
9. When was the last time you laughed?
Early this evening, after settling in after work. We were hanging out in the loungroom. Grace was pulling on one of G's old Carlton caps. And running around, making faces. Little girl being cute in a big hat. Very funny.
10. What's on the walls, in the room you're in right now?
Pictures from the opshop, photos, memorabilia, a map of the Castlemaine area (I once had dreams of buying land somewhere out there), a kite, one of G's paintings, two woven masks from Papua New Guinea, some old record covers, G's frighteningly high shelves full of stuff.
11. Have you seen anything strange lately?
I worked today. It was all strange.
12. What do you think about this meme?
It's a bit like the one I did last week. I was thinking today about making one up in the future and seeing if it took. Maybe.
13. What's the last film you saw?
It's been so long since I went to the cinema. Way, way before Grace was born even. I think it may have been Lost in Translation which I loved. Next time I have an afternoon to myself, I should make an effort to go. I love going to the cinema on my own during the day. It feels indulgent.
14. If you became a multimillionaire, what would you do with the money?
Well, after sharing some around with my friends and family, I'd have to choose which of my three money is no object fantasies to pursue. One fantasy is to set up a big shop in my suburb selling the best new and recycled baby and kids stuff. The mainstream and the environmental products in the one shop. And handmade and artisan goods too. But there would also be a really woman, baby and child focused cafe attached. With food suitable for pregnant ladies. And comfy chairs for feeding. Change facilities. And somewhere for toddlers to rampage. And it would be genuinely friendly so that new mothers venturing out would feel welcome and like they had somewhere to get out of the house where they weren't considered to be in the way. And I would employ all the people I know who need jobs. And a few others. And there would be a fabulous beauty parlour and hairdressing/ massage studio upstairs with a pregnancy table. And a short stay creche. It would be fantastic. Fantasy number two involves buying a big house, engaging a mothers help and becoming a serial foster carer. Fantasy number three would be to buy a small holding up in the hills, grow potatoes, make vodka (G's fantasy), have a huge garden and write, make and potter to my hearts content. And travel every second winter. I guess if it happened I might do something that combined elements of all three fantasies.
15. Tell us something about yourself that most people don't know.
I just did. Honestly if it's not in the blog... Oh I know, I have a tail. Just kidding.
16. If you could change ONE THING in this world, without regarding politics or bad guilt - what would it be?
Less stuff. I'd change the world so there was just less stuff in it. Much less stuff. The consequences are mind boggling. Less waste, less effort, less materialism, less work. More time for all sorts of creativity and being.
17. Do you like dancing?
Oooh yes. Especially techno/disco in the sunshine, but it's been a while. I intend to age disgracefully and restart my dancing days when I'm in my sixties.
18. George Bush?
Old news?
19. What do you want your children’s names to be, girl/boy?
I'll cross that bridge if it appears again.
20. Would you ever consider living abroad?
Not on a permanent basis. I'm very tied to Melbourne.
21. What do you want God to tell you, when you come to heaven?
Hello, we've been expecting you. All your friends and loved ones (except of course those still living) are here to meet you. And we have cake. And fattening is no longer an issue, so knock yourself out.
22. Who should do this meme?
Anyone who wants to.

3 comments:

  1. Hi J,
    Just read your October/November comments and it made me feel homesick. Food, garden, sunshine - all manageable - unlike here.
    Grace is very beautiful. I sent you a long email recently so reply. I'm going to the Cu Chi tunnels and pagoda on Sunday - a day's trip away from HCMC. I want to be in Hanoi by March next year. Love J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so nicking this one too. It'll wile away some procrastination time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fantasies. Although, potatoes??

    ReplyDelete