Forty-free

When I think of glam, I think of inside, artificial environments. And dress ups. Makeup. Perhaps at a stretch, a sunshiney beach with seventies style bikinis and tanned cool people (as if). None of which were going to happen this week. No chance. The only even slightly glam like thing I had going today was the feeling that I hadn't slept for days and that I was running on that surreal tired and wired feeling, like after you've come down but haven't quite come back. If you know what I mean. Which if you don't have to drive or work, and if you can relax into it, is quite pleasant. I'm blaming it on the birthdays, my back and the weather. And consequent lack of quality sleep. So on the beach today in the blustery cold wind that can be Melbourne in spring, I donned my big lady sunglasses and posed for my camera.

I guess the other little bit of glam is some post production which I haven't really been into before. I'm very new to photoshop (elements) and the glam theme seems the perfect time to have a little play, to experiment. Because in some ways, the essence of glam is fake, pretend, things done for effect. I have a zillion ideas, but so much to learn.

The beach outing was my planned birthday treat. Our birthdays are a day apart and Gerard wanted a social event, which he had on Sunday. This was mine. Just a simple day out with G and Grace. A lunch of fish and chips with diet coke for me, chips and cornjacks for G. Little bits of everything for Grace, except for the coke. Which felt uber trashy, like we could be pounced upon by a current affairs show or human services at any moment for letting our toddler eat chips.* But there were cherries for desert, which evens it out a little. Then a big walk along the beach, taking big eyefuls of clouds and waves and cliffs. Being buffeted by the wind, breathing salty fresh air. My back ache is all but gone and I feel a good sort of tired. Like I've danced all night, laid about all day and am ready to be tucked into bed. And sleep.

Check out more glam here.


*Children and babies eating junk food is in the news alot in Melbourne at the moment. Grace actually has quite a healthy diet, she even eats greens like silver beet and brussels sprouts. Something I'm aware might not last.

14 comments:

  1. Happy 43. We're only a couple of months apart. I turn 43 in January.
    Of course, you are MUCH more glam than I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lovely day and I like the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful portrait--the expression, the sunburst--the forty-FREE...happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!
    (shhhh I won't tell anyone about the chips if you don't tell anyone that I fed my boys Happy Meals from the Evil Empire/McD's yesterday)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday. Diggin' those sunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy birthday fellow scorpio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! And excellent GLAM sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the beach glam ... and the rainbow spotlights on your neck :-)
    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the beach glam ... and the rainbow spotlights on your neck :-)
    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, I didn't mean to post twice. Like the piccie though LOL I guess I like it lots and wanted to make sure you know that!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday for yesterday. Glad you had a lovely day. (And there's nothing wrong with a few chips for the kids now and then!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! I love this photo too (you've probably noticed that I love a lot of your portrait shots...) Do you take them yourself or does G help you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for your birthday wishes.
    Shula, I am not really glam, not at all. In fact I am a great big dag. And am very OK with that. But I do have some posy moments I guess.
    Em, thank you. I take most of my portrait shots myself, either with the tripod and timer, or just by holding the camera out. Sometimes I get my mum or G to help but don't relax as much. And I like to take lots of quick shots, which I often feel uncomfortable asking someone else to do.

    ReplyDelete